CNG refill in VA

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Despite the fact that CNG is a good fuel and the system I have works I am considering a switch to LPG. The reason is the lack of filling stations or exchange locations. My boat is located in Gloucester VA and I drive from Charlottesville VA where we live. A location that is open Friday evening or Sunday evening anywhere along the route would be ideal.

The only one that might be an option is in Newport News. Does anyone fill their cylinder there using the adapter?
What have other folks done in my position?

Mark Tamblyn

Stu Jackson

1.  Do the adapter, see the wiki, under the topic Fuel: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=CNG_Refill_Adapter

2.  Find a refill station on your route:  check www.safgas.com  They  have a refill station locator on their website, click on "Fuel Locator"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Mark,
Corp Brothers will fill the tank  www.corpbrothers.com however the frieght charges are big $$. For Ohio ship to point with fill and shipping is about $80.

If any one in Lake Erie area who has an adaptor and wants to make some boat toy money by filling these please let me know.
Thanks Rick

Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Jeff Kimbel

Mark:

I live in Raleigh, and went through a similar search to yours a few years back.  I was told there was not a single source for CNG between Newport News & Charleston.  I began the research to convert my system, and mentioned the issue to a non-sailing friend who told me to contact the local Natural Gas Utility office (PSNC in North Carolina).  Low & behold, they have a CNG pump at their downtown vehicle service station and are very friendly & accomodating.  I've filled up there for the last 3 years.

I've never seen this advertised anywhere, and it doesn't show up on any web search.  It makes me believe like-utilities in other locations may carry CNG.

Oh - and the price?  $15.  Only personal checks accepted.   :clap

Jeff

dgill

I followed the directions on this site and made the CNG fill adapter.  I searched the internet for natural gas fuel fill sites and located a natural gas distributor close to where I live.  I have filled the CNG tank twice, most recently yesterday.  I have spent a grand total ~ in refilling of $3.00.  This refill site takes a credit card and it is self serve.  The site is where all of our public buses and other natural gas vehicles fill up.  Check with your local government and see where they fill up.  (The SAFEGAS link is only for the tank exchange)

I really like the CNG as I never have to worry about the fuel finding it's way to the bilge - it's lighter than air.  I did not have to spend the money to retrofit the stove,  build a storage box, add solenoid switches etc.  But what I really like is that I no longer feel like I am being "robbed" by Corp Bros (and their distributors) ~ the previous "only game in town" for CNG tank exchanges.  Hope this is helpful.   :thumb:
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

cjenson

May not be an option for you but Virginia Natural Gas in Norfolk can do an exchange for your empty. I have the number for Jimmy Conroy that I used until I sold my 34 last August. I would call Jimmy and meet him at a station at Harbor Park and do the trade. I can send you his number when I get back to work tomorrow if this would be any help. Let me know.

Stu Jackson

Forgot to note that we have two tanks on board.  The "live" one is under the seat in the aft cabin.  The backup in under the forward end of the port settee.  The PO cut a hole in the bulkhead so the top of the backup scoots into the space under the drawers in the V berth.  If it appears to be a big hassle to get fuel for you, then having two at least assure you can make it through a season without having to run out during the season, and then you can spend the winter filling the backup up.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

MarkT

Thank you everyone for the input.
It looks like I will make the drive to Norfolk. I learned from another source that was the place. Two cylinders is the way to go by the sounds of things if I do the refill in the off season then it isn't a problem. In the summertime it can me an awful drive across the bridge tunnel to Norfolk with hour long backups. Glad I don't have that drive too often.

Mark Tamblyn

capnJudd

I followed the plan for the refill adaptor and although it took some time to order all the parts, when they came there was no machining to do. They cost $130 including shipping. They all went together with nothing more than a wrench and vise. I drove to the public refueling station at Newark airport; the connector worked fine; the fill-up took about 20 seconds; the only surprise was the pump agent who was wide-eyed that all he could charge me was $1.15 to fill the tank. 
:clap

Previously, I was paying $140 for shipping a tank to Corp Bros, having it filled, and shipping it back. The cost of the new adaptor was thus amortized in a single use! The New Jersey gov is intent on encouraging the use of more CNG, and the cost of CNG is going down, so I am hopeful there will be more refueling stations emerging. That should create more of a market amongst boaters, and bring more CNG to the shore.

MarkT

Good to hear that the adapter is as easy as that to put together. Maybe a project for the off season.
I'm finding we use 2 tanks per year with the weekend and day sailing we do.

As an update on this thread which is kind of old.

CNG tanks can be refilled in Richmond VA
Contact Steven Harvey with VA Natural Gas  (804) 513-7856    (This is his cell phone)
He works from early am until 2pm.

The pickup location is near Hanover Airpark
Next to Carter Cat
10990 Air Park Rd
Ashland VA

Cost is $31

Mark Tamblyn