Honda eu2000 Generator Model Options

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

In all the years I've been reading about these generators, the conclusions appear to be that they are the best bang for the buck.  This post is neither to discuss the relative merits of the Honda over other brands (a no-brainer, Honda hands down over all others), nor the differences between the 1000 and 2000 (larger gets you hot water).

Rather, I just learned not only of a good cost effective source for the Honda eu2000, but that there are options that you can order for different plug arrangements.  I had never heard of this before, and as far as I can recall, it had never been discussed here, either.

Please see this link to www.catalinaowners.com.  The original subject has nothing to with Hondas, but the multipage link ends up with a discussion about the alternate models choices available, and a good place to buy one for a good price.

The link to the entire thread is: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=105978&page=2  This starts on page 2, go ahead to page 3 for the later reply #s.  Please review replies starting with #36 -- #36-38; 41-46 and 48 & 49.

The link's Reply #46 on page 3 states:

One model of the Honda eu2000iA has the 12-volt, 8-amp output, plus two, 20-amp AC outlets. The other model (maybe the "Companion"?) Has one 20-amp and one 30-amp (twist lock) outlet. NO 12-volts.

The 12-volt model is $885 delivered. I don't know what the 30-amp one is, but I should have asked. In either case the AC is 2000 watts max, so the 12-volt is a plus.

Pretty interesting.  I checked out the "regular" manual I downloaded awhile ago.  There are actually two different manuals for the two different models, showing the differences on the output panel of the generator very clearly.  I downloaded the "regular" manual years ago, "just-in-case" I was tempted to purchase one of these little goodies.  Now I have both.

Comments & experiences?

Link to the Honda website: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=all, see the eu2000iA and the eu2000iA COMPANION, and you can even do a comparison of the two!  Click on the two models and go to the upper right and click on Compare.  Neat.

The only difference seems to be the Companion has a 20A and a 30A outlet, whereas the "regular" model has one 12V outlet and two 20A outlets.  As far as I've learned from this 'site and others, the 12V outlet is pretty useless for anything but helping a dead car battery get enough oomph to start the car (after you charge and then disconnect the generator) and shouldn't be used to do anything re: batteries direct on the boat.  All our registrants use one of the two 20A outputs with pigtail connections to the 30A shorepower inlet on the boat to charge their batteries, heat their water, etc.

The Companion is $120 MSRP more - you could get the pigtail for that and in any event would have to buy one.

Has anyone bought the Companion or considered it?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

yonar

I have EU2000i model with two 20A AC outlets. I made a powercord connects 20A AC outlet of EU200i to 30A shore power inlet connector of the boat. It charges batteries with inboard battery charger. I use all 120V applications just like in the marina. Naturally I have watch not to exceed 1600 watts of continuous load. If you do not use any other appliance it does heat water quickly with with 1500 watt heater element. I recommend it. It is much cheaper and practical then an inboard genset. I am sure there must be some advantages and reasons for 30A outlet. I did not see it. I will use the price difference for powercord adaptor. by the way 2000 watts is peak power 1600 watts is continuous use. EU2000i is an excellent equipment. I owned it for 4 years and love it.
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA