Glow Plug Activation on 2007 Cat 34 MK II

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Madden

i'm not sure how to activate the glow plugs on my 2007 Cat 34 MK II.  the owner's manual refers to a glow plug button next to the ignition start button, but i have no such button on my control unit.  i'm guessing that i activate my glow plugs by turning the ignition switch (clockwise) past the start position and holding it there for as many seconds as i want to glow plugs to activate.  my guess is based on the fact that i see my amp meter drop from 13.5 to about 9 when i do this (and then goes back to 13.5 when i stop.)  i appreciate any input that anyone might have on this.  thanks in advance.

Jon Schneider

There is an engine panel design that has a separate glow plug button, but if your ignition switch has a second position and the amps drop when you activate it, then I think your guess is right (especially if you don't have a separate glow plug button).  Another sure-fire test is to try starting the engine without using that second position on the ignition switch.  If it doesn't start without using the second position, but does when you do use the second position, then you've got your answer.  BTW, if it starts under any circumstance, then someone sneaked in and installed a Yanmar ;) 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jim Hardesty

That is the way my 2001 starts.  It only takes a few seconds on the glow plugs for the engine to start.  I purchased mine last year in the winter and was a little confused with the engine manual instructions describing a none existing button.  If I remember correctly the starting routine is covered in the Catalina owners manual.  Note that instructions call for only cranking the engine for a max 30 seconds, if more, the muffler needs to be drained. 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

sail4dale

agreed ..... 5 seconds on the glow plug is plenty.  the third key position activates the glowplug and the fuel pump.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Stu Jackson

Tom,

This (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3347.0.html)("Hard Starting/ Possible glow plug problem??") is one of the longest threads ever recorded on this Message Board. 

It will most likely be overkill in answer to your question, but it's worth reading, because it covers some issues of your boat's wiring and how it is supposed to work, along with an explanation of some "glitches" in the wiring diagrams that are available in your manual and here on our website online. 

Since it's so long, you may want to print it out and read it at your leisure away from the computer - it's eye-tiring, I can assure you! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Tom : The M35 series engines have a 3 position "ignition" switch on the engine insturment panel.  The positions are OFF/ON/MOMENTARY. 
The momentary position is spring loaded and activates the glow plugs and the fuel pump (because there is no oil pressure).  The electrical load that you are seeing is on your VOLT meter, not amp meter. 
Ron, Apache #788

canuck

If the engine is warm, forget the glow plug and just hit the starter. If the engine is cold, hold the key for 10 seconds, release, and then hit the starter. Do not heat the glow plugs while starting because you want all battery power for the starting procedure. You do not have to move the throttle control at all. Your rpm should be around 900 to 1200. If you are connected to shore power you will notice that the tach will not register until your 110 breaker is off or shore power is disconected. I have a 2004 and your instructions are not in my manual. Suggest you obtain owners manual from Universal.
One thing you should know is check the zinc on the heat exchanger yearly. Stock zinc is too long. Buy your OEM anode, cut
1/4" off the zinc or it will break off when inserted and tightened. Change your primary RACOR with a 30 micron yearly as well as your secondary filter.

Steve Sayian

Tom,

The answer to your question about how to activate the glow plugs is correct.  Turn the ignition key clockwise past the start position and hold it there.  The engine start switch is the black button on the control panel.
I usually warm my glow plugs for about 15 seconds during the summer (only on initial startup) and 30 seconds after September for my M35.
I too read the manual, but got that info from the dealer when I bought the boat.  In most cases the manual is very good, but does not get updated frequently with the different variations for engines, panels, wiring, etc.  That is very costly and I doubt that Catalina has a dedicated technical documentation function to keep their manuals updated.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Tom : I'd recommend that you engage the glow plugs (if the engine is cold - under 100 water temp degrees) for 10 to 15 seconds. 
Just remember the old Chinese saying  "Glow plugs are much cheaper than changing starter" !! 
If engine water temp is over 100 degrees you don't need the glow plug preheat. 
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Madden

thanks so much for the input, it has really helped me quite a bit.  i appreciate you all taking the time to input.  thanks so much!  tom