Broken latch on galley cabinets

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Madden

i recently had a latch on a galley cabinet break. i have a 2007 cat 34 mk II (hull # 1768.)  the latch broke under just about zero pressure, basically just fell apart.  i was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue and if anyone has input on how / where to get replacement latches?

thank you for you input in advance, i really appreciate it.

tom

Stu Jackson

Tom, a search on cabinet latches uncovers a number of discussions about your question, like: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4253.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

My 1990 model doesn't have hinged cabinets per se, but I'm sure you could get replacements from either Catalina Direct or Catalina Yachts.  While it's obviously not a warranty item, it would be interesting to see what CY does if you call them.  I'd expect them to give them to you for free.  
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jack Hutteball

I have had 2 of mine break.  I actually think that the dishes in the cabinet sliding against the door when changing tacks may have contributed to their demise.  I have since put non-skid place mats in the cabinets to help eliminate that sliding force on the door.  The cheapest place I found for the replacement latch is Austin Hardware 800-527-5640.  The part # I ordered was MP-02-103-515.  Verify your latch to see if it uses the vertical or horizontal knob in its location. That does make a difference with the part no.  I assume your colors are the same as mine but don't know that, as there are a multitude of choices there too.  They have a website, you can Google to find it.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Another thought:  I've found replacement hardware for our Mark I doors at Ace Hardware.  A well stocked store may well have what you are looking for, or at least a workable replacement that may even be an improvement.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tommyt

I had the same problem with my 2004. Seems Catalina must know about the problem, because after our call they sent out replacements immediately at no charge. I believe that the 2007 latches are the same as the 2004.
Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance