Lazy Jacks

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Just had my new North Sails main put on replacing the original main sail with the lazymate system (running up/down the topping lift). A somewhat odd but effective way of near self-flaking.

The question is whether to add lazy jacks. Nice to drop the main and keep it off the deck. But anyone dead against them?
I don't want any more lines to potentially slap the mast at anchor for instance. I did read Ron's description of his system.

Thanks for any input.
Tom

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Michael Shaner

Tom,

Never had any experience with lazy jacks prior to this boat...now I don't know how we ever managed without them. There is no slapping or banging...quiet as church mice!
Michael & Alison Shaner

iwillmott

They are great for single handing .I have 'em ,find that I have to turn into the wind to get the main to drop completely-no stress on the slugs. Same with raising-battens sometimes get snagged but not a big problem if you have auto helm. I would buy them again.

ian

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Hrer's a lazyjack idea that I borrowed from a C36 neighbor. I downsized the line to 1/4 instead of the 5/16 and the rings to 1 1/4.
It seems to work pretty well and you can bring the lines back to the cleat on the mast to be able to put the sail cover on without having to modify it and is also easier to raise the sail that way.
Haven't had a problem with mast slapping so far, just keep the lines tight.

Mike

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Craig Illman

Mike - I have some EZ-Jacks that are rigged similar to your picture. I must need lesser stretch line, because at over about 12-15 kts, the lines bounce against the mast. Even with bungee cords pulling them toward the shrouds, they still slap quite a bit. I dropped them last week to keep the liveaboards from getting too annoyed during the next few months. Otherwise, for short handed sailing, they certainly make life easier.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Mike:

How high up the mast is the cheek block relative to the spreaders?

Steve
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

Steve - Mine sit just under the spreaders.

Craig

Rick Johnson

Mine is 6 ft above the spreaders, but I'll admit you've got to watch that the main halyard does not get caught behind it.  I went with Garhauer cheek blocks but I think something smaller would have been better.

Cheers
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Guys : Look in Projects!  I made my own lazy jacks.  The original one were made in 1988(about) and lasted until last year when I made some new ones using the same 20yearold measurements. No holes drilled in the mast!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks for eveyone's input. I'll keep the points in mind as I consider the options.
Tom

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mine are just under the spreader as well, sorry, I should have shown the spreaders on the drawing.
The line was stayset x I think. It was on sale at the time for 40% off at WM.
Another thought is to use shroud cleats, like the ones used on flag pennant halyards to keep the line away from the mast if thats a problem. I usually don't have winds above 10 knots at the marina so mine may slap in higher winds.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Hawk

I have decided to go with Lazy Jacks but now, "topping lift or no topping lift", that is the question.
Stu attached a link above to a thread discussing this question from 2006 which is helpful. Any updated comments though?
My preference is to remove it as I tend to stow the main halyard at the aft end of the boom anyway, but..............?

Ted Pounds

If you've got a rigid vang then ditch the topping lift.   :thumb:  Like you I would use the halyard to support the boom and take the load off the vang.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Guys & Susan : If you have a rigid Vang, then the only thing the topping lift does is to rub the leach (roach) of the mainsail and cause unnecessary wear !!    A thought
Ron, Apache #788