Obsolete topping lift

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

Here's a question of the month. For those of you that installed a solid vang, what did you wind up doing with your topping lift?

1. Leave it in place
2. Completely remove it
3. Remove it, but leave a trace line in place
4. Run another type of halyard
5. Other?

I'm expecting my new vang in this week, I might even have time to install it. (I probably should go sailing instead and wait and do the installation later)

- Craig

Stu Jackson

Our boat was sold to us by the PO with a Garhauer rigid vang and the topping lift had been removed.  The beauty of the rigid vang is that you no longer need the topping lift, and so could remove it.  Anytime you have a chance to have another line going aloft, it could be well to consider using it.  Worst case is you have a line to use to get something up to someone who is up the mast on a bosun's chair.  Only issue is that you have to assure that what whatever you "leave" doesn't slap on the mast.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Thanks, Stu. I'm tempted to run a 1/8" nylon tag line that could be used to pull another halyard up for something like an ATN Top-Climber when the need arises. I don't want to add any more mast slappers than necessary and would prefer to minimize the "put-away" time after coming back from a sail. I have a little cleat on the starboard shroud, I suppose I could put another one on the port side to secure the tag line. My new main has quite a bit of roach. I'd prefer to get the topping lift out of the way.

Craig

Jim Price

Craig, I have the solid (spring loaded) boom vang and no longer needed the topping lift after I dumped the LazyMate system.  However, I still use to lift and secure the boom when sail is flaked.  Helps keep the boom from bouncing and secure above the bimini if the boat gets any rollers while in the slip.  I just unclip and store foward of mast to keep out the way when under sail. 
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ted Pounds

The PO removed my topping lift and I've never missed it.  I use the main halyard to secure the end of the boom and take the load off the vang when the sail is down.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Craig : After I installed the Garhauer rigid vang I completely got rid of the toping lift and do NOT miss it.  It was just another item that could get in the way.  I don't understand the "load on the vang" theory - as the vang is spring loaded and pushing up the boom and I believe that any support on the end of the boom is unnecessary unless you completely disconnect a compressed rigid vang.

When I put on my summer and winter covers I no longer have to screw with a topping lift.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Addition to our earlier post:

We also have lazy jacks.  We use the tension on the lazy jacks to keep the boom up IN ADDITION TO  (but not to replace) the spring loaded rigid vang.  The vang keeps it up very well, but we can get a few feet higher, if necessary, with the lazy jacks.

We also, just for grins & giggles, we keep the boom way over on the starboard side.  #1 because we usually enter the boat on the port side  #2  to offset the danged port list!!! :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailmed

I now use my topping lift for another purpose: It is now an integral part of my inflatable dinghy-tow system. 

Here's the rig:
I attached shackles onto both ends of two aluminum rods, each about 3 1/2 feet long.  Each rod snaps onto the rings on the forward port and starboard sides of the dinghy, and the other ends snap onto the backstays port and starboard.  This puts the nose of the dinghy just on top of the scoop transom.  I use the topping lift to attach to the stern of the dinghy.  When sailing, I slack the line and let the dinghy  swim behind me, tethered by the rods, with the nose slightly elevated.  I can, at any time, haul up the transom of the dinghy to raise it out of the water.  If I haul it alot, I can get the dinghy into a vertical position, its nose upon the boat's transom.

Total cost $23.00 at the local hardware store.

It have used this all season, and it has been very easy to live with.  One note: To use the swim ladder, release one rod from the back stay, allow the dinghy to drift to one side. 
Also, as a side benefit, it makes a stable platform for guests to get on and off the dinghy when it is firmly tethered to the transom. 

Ron Hill

Craig : FYI, when you install the Garhauer Rigid Vang the boom will be tilted up at a 30 to 45 degree angle.  That's  with the spring uncompressed and the Vang line loose and no mainsheet line attached. 
It's when you attach the sheet line and pull it in, along with the Vang control line that you can even get the boom down to horizontal.  The Spring in the Vang is compressed and trying to raise the boom!!
So why you'd need a topping lift to "support the end of the boom" is beyond me???   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron: I wasn't really expecting to need it to support the boom. I just didn't want to remove the halyard from the mast without some forethought. I bought some 1/8" dacron from REI @ .10/ft for a traceline. If it gets too annoying to deal with, I'll pull it out.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.

Craig

Craig Illman

I installed the Garhauer RV20-1 rigid vang yesterday. While I have yet to try it out, it looks like it's going to be a great improvement to make sailing easier and safer. Only one trip to the chandelry (Fisheries Supply) to get a larger boom bail for one of the mainsheet blocks. I'm lucky to have a small West Marine about three blocks from the boat. Fisheries is about five miles from the boat and on the way home. A Universal dealer is another mile toward home and a larger West Marine is about six miles from home. Yes, sometimes the pricing isn't attractive, but you can't beat the availability.

Of course, there were no instructions with the vang, but with all the information on this forum, I knew exactly how to install it.

Ron - You're right again. I think the vang upgrade will add more functionality than the traveler upgrade, but I'm glad I've done both.

I have mixed feelings about fall. I'll miss the sunny warm weather we've enjoyed for the past three months, but reliable wind is just around the corner!

Craig

foursailing

Craig,

Top lift on my recently purchased '99 is used for Dutchman system - basically there's a small block attached to top lift and pulled up to mast head forming a continuous loop to position dutchman lines while under sail.  Dutchman is then  lowered after sail is dropped to allow for sail cover.  Boat also has the Garhauer boom vang.

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ