anchor sentinel & port list

Previous topic - Next topic

joe

I noted that a number of people use sentinels when they anchor overnight. I would be interested in how you've done this and any steps used to avoid chafe on the rode.
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Ray & Sandy Erps

Joe,

I was in the anchor sentinel camp for several years when our anchor rode was primarily rope.  I had a 10 lb. lead downrigger weight that I would send down the rode on a stainless shackle with it's own line attached.  I used it when we were in tight anchorages where I couldn't let out the scope I wanted to.

After some more research and experience, I would no longer go this route.  The sentinel had minimum impact when the wind would start coming up and would introduce it's own problem, chafe.  It's also not a substitute for a properly sized and set anchor.  If you're thinking of adding some weight to your anchor rode, I would recommend adding more chain.  That addresses both issues.  I think this issue was discussed at length on the SSCA discussion board.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Howard Armstrong

I use a sentinel but it is to keep from getting keel wrap. I dont think if helps much in a blow unless you get a very large one.

Stu Jackson

Many folks use both.  The recent discussion about anchors (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2705.0) discussed this.  A search on sentinels will find plenty of previous discussions.  We use a mushroom anchor with a shackle and a carabiner (for ease of hooking up to the main anchor line) primarily for avoiding keel wrap; either our anchorage has reversing currents or the wind dies at night with a light breeze from the opposite direction in the mornings.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Randy and Mary Davison

Joe,

A sentinal has been a mixed blessing for me too.  I use one when winds are light to avoid keel wrap and also when in deep water when many others are anchored with chain-only rodes.  I have 40 feet of chain but in a 60 or 70 foot anchorage tend to swing into chain only boats when using sufficient scope.  This is usually due to currents running through the anchorage and the tendency of all chain boats to use less scope - at least in the areas I cruise in.

The downside has been that the sentinal line is usually wrapped around the anchor rode 5 or 6 times by morning.  If winds are light, this is time consuming but OK to deal with.  If winds are heavy, unwrapping the two lines is difficult with 20 pounds hanging on the sentinal line.  I haven't been able to tell whether the sentinal helps in a blow either.  I think it does tend to reduce the shock at the end of side to side "swims" though.

Randy
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Hawk

I was looking at some older posts as I have a good Delta anchor with 200 feet of 5/16ths chain. Of course it has held well as expected.....But heading into 20+ knot wind/seas I'm a little concerned that the bow is too heavy with all that chain in the locker resulting in the bow pounding into/through the waves. Any thoughts on an ideal chain/rode combination?
I recognize that at anchor I'll always be happy knowing I have 200 feet of chain available...but I don't want to compromise the sailing too much.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson

If you have as much cr*p in the "garage" (read: aft cabin) as we do, plus food and goodies galore, you'll find that even with 30 ft. of 1/4" chain and 150 ft. of 3/8" rode in the bow, that NOTHING will keep your bow down.  The engine's heavy enough to keep trim.

Add 300 ft. of 3/8" chain, and you'll still be fine.

It's the bloody port list I'd be worried about, maties! :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Tom : I'm changing from 30 ft of 1/4" HT chain to 50 ft HT.  That should take care of 95+ % of the anchoring I'll ever do. 
I also have a 15 lb mushroom (sentinel) to send down if I need more than 50ft of chain plus 10/15 ft of nylon.  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ancora Latina

Quote from: Ray & Sandy Erps on May 07, 2007, 06:52:22 AM
  The sentinel had minimum impact when the wind would start coming up and would introduce it's own problem, chafe.  It's also not a substitute for a properly sized and set anchor.  If you're thinking of adding some weight to your anchor rode, I would recommend adding more chain. 

I couldn't agree more!.. - "Angel" - "Chum" - "Sentinel" - "Mobi-lest" ... has mostly a psychological effect, and with medium to strong winds, nearly NO effect at all !...

If you feel the need for a Sentinel, perhaps it is the right time to reconsider your anchoring gear?

João

Stu Jackson

There are two purposes for the sentinel.  I agree in heavy conditions with the rode bar tight it's not going to do much.  However, the other use, to avoid tripping over your keel in reversing currents, is very helpful.  We have a nice anchorage here where (when it's not too windy - and, therefore, pleasant) the current switches every six hours or so.  It's nice to have the sentinel assuring the rode is down so the boat leisurely loops in its 180 change of direction.  We can get up to three knots running through there.  So, before discarding some ideas, consider the options and the applications.  If you've read earlier material on this subject, you'd find one skipper who runs chain-rode-chain-rode instead of a sentinel.

Hawk

Thanks Ron and Stu. I'll happily leave my 200 ' of chain as is.

The port list however is perplexing, even more so when both water tanks are full. I haven't seen any definitive explanations. Keeping the water topped up reduces it, I suppose.
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson

I'm almost sorry I brought port list up as a subject, which has been around as long as C34s have been produced.

I suggest that you do a search on "port list" using the search button/tab to the right of Home and Help at thew top of the screen below the "Hello" box, rather than the search box on the right of the screen.

You can also use the Google search engine on the homepage www.c34ia.org, left side index.  There have been postings on this subject since 1986, including the FAQs.

Lotsa research and input for your interest.

gctj

I never used a sentinel and figured my chain would be enough.   I now use a Delta 35lb and 60' of 5/16" HT chain with 150' of 5/8" nylon. This is kept on the bow roller and anchor locker.  I also have a Fortress FX23 stored in the forward starboard settee locker with it's on 60' of 5/16" chain and 200' of 5/8" nylon.  I put on another bow roller to handle the second anchor if necessary to deploy both anchors.

When I thought I might have to move from the marina and leave the boat alone and anchored for a possible hurricane earlier this year, I bought another 120' of 5/16" HT chain in two 60' sections and two heavy duty chain connectors. This is also stored in the same settee locker in two bags that I can move to the bow when and if necessary.  I could put out both anchors on 120' of chain plus the nylon or one anchor on 180' chain plus nylon and the other on 60' chain plus nylon. Anyway, the hurricane passed us by so I didn't have to try it, thank goodness. But there is always next year! One problem - my elbow still hurts from lugging around all that chain and if I ever did get it all deployed, my old back would probably be finished off when I tried to get it up.
George Turner