dimensions of wing keel

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I am taking my boat 2001 C34mkll wing keel out for winter storage soon.  Does any one know the width and length of the wing keel.  Also is it flat on the bottom or is it lower in the center?  I should have paid more attention to it in the Spring.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tonywright

I don't have the dimensions, but I can confirm that it is not flat on the bottom. It has a rounded v-shape underneath. It is slightly deeper near the bow, so that if you set it flat on the ground, the boat will slope down towards the stern. This will of course ensure good drainage off the stern. If you do set it on the ground, be careful of the rudder, which is as deep as the wing keel.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Jim : I know that Catalina has changed the exact design of their wing keels over the years.  If you want the exact measurements I'd only trust them from someone with a wing C34 of your production year!!
Just remember that when they block your hull that the maximum weight on the wing should be on its nose and not in the middle of the wing. 
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Jim...I might have a few dimensions to help you out...but as Ron mentioned they might have changed them a bit over the 4yrs...(2001 vs 2005) so use them as "approximate".
I also have a drawing that twas sent to me from Catalina.  It's dated 7-17-86 and has a bunch of revisions ...and my copy mention 1-4-95 as the last revision of this drawing (hey..that's just after the Xmas Holiday...so I hope that they had sober up...loll).
My wing is 72" in length and according to what I can make out of the drawing...38" in width. If you look at the pictures closely..and knowing that 72" is right on for length..than 38" would make sense..or very close to that.
Also, as you can see on the picture (and mentioned above)...the botton is not completely flat.  Catalina DO recommend that the tips of the wing be supported with some cribbing...OK, I know, I don't do it...but I should.
Hope this help
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Here's the pictures
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

More
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

And 2 more...you'll notice that the white wing was when the boat arrived at the dealer before the epoxy was done (VC-17 and VC-27)
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Jim Hardesty

Thanks to everyone that replied.  The information was perfect and a great help.
I can see that this forum is going to make a lot of my projects go much smoother.
Hope I can return the favors.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA