Winter cover

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

Thought I would revive this thread. 

I have read that snow needs to be removed from covers made by Top Shop.  Others say that it blows off.  If I go with a cover by them will I need to plan on driving to the boat after every winter storm?  What do others with this cover do?  Like Tommy I also live at the 45th parallel.

I currently have the boat shrink wrapped and the snow slides off.  I don't go to the marina for one-two months during the dead of winter.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Momentum M

Hi Dave...I'm sorry to report that YES snow does accumulate on TOP Shop cover.  Mainly aft of the mast as the boat gets wider from that point..to the stern.  Even with a tight tarp...the snow will accumulate and for a good crust of ice (lump).  It does accumulate at the bent...that is in the round part as it turn to go down.  This year I'm experimenting with clamps and old boards (I've attached the feet to the candles) to keep them from sliding under snow load.  In the past I used some fine rope but they always manage to slip.  I'll see how it goes this winter and if this is not enough then I'll use some boards to help support the canvas ....just before the bend (that is approx. 1 foot from the bend, on the top side..not on the vertical 'cause snow accumulate only on the top section.

Luckily for me...we're 2 friends with the same system so I cover the first half of the winter(going to the boats when needed)...he does the 2nd half.

And let me tell you that this snow gets very very heavy and, once under the tarp, I have to use my back to lift each piece (that is between each rib)..a few time in a row so that the lump first detach from the canvas and then to make it slide off.

I  guess that there is no perfect system so I'm still please with it.  As I read before,  sailboats are fun but they need to be taken care of 12 mo /yr.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

tommyt

It really depends on where you are positioned in the yard, and the type of snow. If the yard and boat is protected from the wind, you will have snow accumulation. If it is in the wind, I only have accumulation when it is a wet snow which sticks. Then I use my back if it is over 6 inches.

Last year we had about 140" of snow, and I pushed off the snow only about 4 times.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Footloose

Thanks Guys. There is no perfect system.  Shrink wrap is getting expensive.  Like Serge, I also have friends with boats.  We can probally work something out.  We are considering a group driving to the factory to pick the covers up.  Right now this is planning for next year.
Dave G.
"Footloose"

289cobra1

I made a wood frame with a tarp for under $200. I am on my second year. Snow does not build up on the tarp. The boat is stored in Maine, we had a fair amount of snow last winter. The mast is unstepped. It all can be reused. The tarp should last 3 years. I can install it myself in a 1/2 day. The tarp allows good airflow. I will take pictures this weekend and post them.

BillG

Another alternative to a homemade wood or PVC frame is to use 3/4 inch electric conduit.  I rented a conduit
bender and fashioned a total of 9 ribs that run the length of the boat.  I'm on my 3rd season now and have had good luck with it,
but our snows here don't match you up north.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

tonywright

In my experience,  snow only builds up on a Top Shop cover if the legs of the frame are not adequately prevented from shifting apart. The wind combined with snow pressure can push adjacent legs of the frame apart, and then the cover will sag in that area. This will result in snow accumulation, with the cover resting on top of the lifelines.

Take a look at my earlier post, and you will see that I run plastic conduit piping along either side, clamped onto each leg with a U-clamp (suggestion from the owner of Top-Shop).  To hold the feet of each leg from sliding apart, I use 1x2 strapping and cable ties at deck level.  This results in a rigid frame, with little opportunity for the cover to sag.

Where the cover is a little flat, I have used 1/2 inch conduit bent over and tied on with strapping to add some additional support and curvature to the cover. As a result I do not get snow accumulation on the cover. I visit the boat maybe once a month to ensure that the tie-downs are not chafing through or becoming untied. Maybe in the back corner I might find a square foot or so of snow. But nothing really worth mentioning. And we got a LOT of snow last year.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Footloose

Tony,

Thanks for the reply!  I would not have noticed the wood strapping or the pvc conduit as it look like it belongs.  I am taking all of this into consideration.  With current prices it would pay for itself in about 4-5 years.
Dave G.
"Footloose"

tommyt

Thought I would restart this thread as a contest. Pretty certain that the Canadians can top this, but I cleared my Top Shop cover today for the second time this year. As of Dec. 12 we have had 63 inches of snow to date with very little thaw. This global warming has to STOP!

For those of you sailing this week, congratulations. June is coming, but not soon enough.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Footloose

We have not gotten 63 inches yet but I did go skiing today.  I currently have shrink wrap and the snow slides off.  I am still mulling over the purchase of a cover.  The choices are clearing snow from my boat cover or play in the snow.  Don't get this wrong.  I do go to the boat through out the winter to check on things like water in the bildge but I do  not want to be forced to go to the boat when there is a powder day. 

I know it is my choce.
Dave G.
"Footloose"

Ron Hill

Guys : I envy you with "power".  Around the Chesapeake it usually starts out with a mix.  The freezing rain with snow later is a killer on any cover, because it sticks!!  Be happy with 63 inches of just snow!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Albreen

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, C34 site and to a Catalina 34. We bought a 1987 C34 this past spring and sailed it last season. The many pictures of winter covers look great on the boats in this thread. I too pondered the cost and type of winter cover after seeing and getting quotes for a few choices. So, as an alternative I decided to build a frame using clamps from a company named Kover Klamps along with 3/4" electrical conduit from the local hardware store. It was easier than I anticipated putting this together and the strenght of the frame was an added benefit. Although I'm using standard tarps for coverage this year, I plan to purchase the laminate fabric and clips for next year. Has anyone used this covering material before? Here is the web site: http://www.koverklampframes.com/boat_cover_framing.html
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

David Comando

I'm on my 6th winter season with my cover from The Canvas Shop in Huntington, NY. It's easy to install with 2 people, although I end up doing it myself with a bottle of Amoretta. (I wait till I'm done to ask the Amoretta for help). It's a "tent" cover made of 2 sections zipped together. When I hit Lotto, or retire, whatever comes first, I'll get the Fairclough to the waterline cover. Kindred Spirit deserves it. Dave
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Footloose

Paul

Good to see another C34 on Lake Champlain.

Right now we are having the weather that I think causes the most damage.  It has been freezing and thawing.  The repeated cycles give ice multiple chances to expand in any little crack, which then become bigger cracks. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"

Albreen

Hi Dave,

Likewise, nice to know you are nearby in Mallets Bay. I sailed out of the inner bay for many seasons quite a few years ago. And, I've seen two other C34's on the lake this past summer. Perhaps we can compare notes on winter covers. The current owner of my former Pearson 32 had a custom cover and frame installed this fall. We are going to see his boat and the C34 this Saturday to see how all are fairing with the frozen rain, sleet and snow. Ugh........I envy the other forum members still saiiing this time of the year.

Thanks for saying hello.
Paul
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain