Oven Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

We used our propane oven (Original to the boat) for the first time. Everything worked -- I think -- however, the oven never really did get hot. How long does it take to heat up?

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

sail4dale

it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.   Did you check to see it the main burner was burning?  It the burner is all afire the oven should heat.  If the thermocouple isn't working the main burner will not ignite (safety)
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Lance Jones

Thanks! The Admiral says that only the pilot light appeared to be lit. How do we change/fix the thermocouple?

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

sail4dale

Haven't had to change on the C34 but when my C30 went out, I unscrewed the unit in the oven and followed the wire to where it attached to the control under the burner cover.  If you remove the cover you probably will see where it connects.  IF you have a manual it should show a parts breakdowan and maybe a view of the assembly.  The new unit comes as an assembly with the wire connected (as I remember from a long time ago)

Good luck  it shouldn't be a huge job
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Tom Soko

Lance,
I'd give a call to Seaward Products in CA.  They are the supplier to CY for our stoves.  I have heard that they are VERY helpful with problems such as yours, and might even help you trouble-shoot over the phone.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : You may not have anything wrong!!
Here are the procedures:
1. Light the right burner for a minute or so to make sure gas is in the line and flowing, then turn burner off
2. Turn on the oven knob to Pilot and hold a flame under the pilot until the thermocouple get hot enough to allow the pilot to stay lit.
3. With the pilot lit, turn the oven knob to a temperature that you want ie. 350 degrees.  This will release the gas and the oven burner will light.  It will stay lit until the oven temp reaches that temperature setting. 
4. The pilot will stay lit when the oven burner goes off and until you turn the oven knob off completely.

My Admiral had the same problem until she turned the knob past "pilot" to a temp setting. 
It sounds to me that if your pilot stays lit - that your thermocouple is working OK.  You probably have another problem!!    A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Man, am I glad I got on to the message board. Such great ideas and help. Thanks all!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Also, the pilot light STAYS lit. Does that rule out the thermocouple?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Michael Shaner

Lance,

I am in the process of remedying a similar problem. The pilot would light and stay lit, however the oven would not heat up. The mercury control valve line is the culprit for me. Seaward directed me to Sure Marine Service (suremarine.com or 800-562-7797) as Seaward no longer makes the parts for our "old" stoves. The parts are available from Sure Marine as remanufactured components. If our problems are identical, you need part # 72532...about 130 bucks...good luck!

Michael & Alison Shaner

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622