Yards of fabric needed to reupholster

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Could anyone tell me how much material I need for C34 1989 to reupholster the entire boat?  I would use vinyl on the back sides.  Also, how much material each area requires? ( aft cabin, main salon, V berth)
Thanks
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paulas : You're better of to use a mesh on the back side so the cushions can breath.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Most any good upholstry person can look at the cushions and give you an approximate on yardage. Or measure the tops...add 8" for sides and 4 " for error and you would be close.
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

waterdog

I want to say it was something like 13 to 15 yards for the upholstery fabric + another 10 or so for the backing.   But that was really many bottles of tequila ago.  If it is critical (a one time order where you can go back and buy more of the same) you need to get your tape measure, out calculate your seem allowances and do the math.  Also it depends on how you are going to do your cushion - where do you do the transition from back to front.   I changed the style of my upholstery away from the piping and buttons to a cleaner more rounded look.  Those kinds of choices will affect your fabric consumption.    Also.  Do the foam on all your seating surfaces.  The temptation is to save the money, but now is the time to do it rather than making it another project later.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Paulus

Steve,
I replaced all of my foam last year.  Big difference. I contacted Catalina, and they told me that I would need 32 yds. 
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

waterdog

32 including the backing?  I would trust Catalina's number.   I did the main salon and then the cabins buying two lots of fabric.   No records.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat