Battery cells leaking fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hello All,
I have (2) 4D's, bought from BJ's at under $100 each.  Purchased them in 2005.  On one of them, I notice battery acid coming out of 3 of the cells, seen by the small pool around the ports.  I have the caps hand tight and up until now, I never saw anything venting out.  Upon inspection of the cells, the water is slightly lower than usual, but still well above the plates.  Does this mean that battery might be calling it quits?  A short in the plates?

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Could be, but maybe not, Roc.  What charger are you using?  Are you plugged in all week?  What's the battery voltage at rest and when being charged?  Have you checked the specific gravity of the cells?  Sorry for the questions, but they may lead to the answers.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roger Blake

Could be result of excessive charging (i.e. check the charger) and/or excessive heat. As Stu indicates, collect additional facts...should help in isolating the problem.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Roc

I have a Xantrex Truecharge 40.  I don't notice anything abnormal about the charger (i.e. no warning lights blinking).  The charger is connected to both batteries, so wouldn't you think if it was over charging, both would be over charged?  I'll check the SG and voltage.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD