Rigging specs for Mk2 with in-mast furling?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_McKinney

I've got an in-mast furling main and planning on replacing the factory issue halyards with 10 mm T-900 and the main outhaul line with 10 mm Endura braid due to excessive chafe.  The owners manual says I need 117 ft. for each of the halyards but there is no mention of the outhaul line length required. This is one long line that runs from the clew, makes a U-turn at the outboard end of the boom, out at the gooseneck, down to a block at the base of the mast, and back to the cockpit thru a starboard side stopper.

Before I break out the tape measure and go into SWAG mode, I was hoping someone might have this dimension handy. Also, if anyone has different halyard lengths or comments on this plan I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Waiting out the thunderstorms... :wait

Thanks
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Jeff,

The outhaul depends on how many blocks you have inside your boom.  Many owners have upgraded their interior blocks to improve purchase for the outhaul.  Other than that, the length is relatively easily determined by checking the Manuals section of the main home page of this website, and looking at the boom configuration.

I'll do a search for the various outhaul arrangements that I posted some time ago and give you the link later.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Jeff, this one was an easy search on "outhaul":  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3630.0.html

Includes other reference links, too.

I also just noticed you are requesting info on a Mark II with a furling main, so this infor doesn't help you, sorry.  SWAG makes sense, not too many furlers around, yet.  Might help others.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jeff : Why not call the factory or better yet John Middleton @ Alsail in Annapolis.  As a Catalina dealer I'm sure that he has that spec. for rigging new boats.  I'd trust his answer over a SWAG !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

Ron,

Thanks for the hint. I'll keep an eye on the postings in case someone has the answer, but will give him a shout on Monday.

PS. I looked at the furling mast manual from Charleston Spars in the knowledge-base section of the website. It listed everything EXCEPT the length of the outhaul.  :?

Wayne

I replaced my outhaul this spring; it was pretty straightforward.  I untied at the clew, tied on a messenger line and pulled the line out the front of the boom.  Everything downstream is open and easy.  I was able to lay my old line out on the dock and measure accurately; WM is right down the street from my boat.
My boat also came with waaaayy long halyards; I ended up cutting them shorter.  I wouldn't buy as long as Cataline provides; I would measure.  In fact, just today I changed out the main halyard on my boat--because of too much wear from the rope clutch.  I don't know length because I used my second jib halyard as a replacement for the main halyard; I have a spinakker halyard that utilizes the hardware formerly occupied by my #2 jib halyard.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Jeff_McKinney

Per the factory: The outhaul line for in-mast furling is 64' of 3/8 inch (or 10 mm) ultra low stretch line such as T-900, Endura braid or XLS   :clap