Air Filter Warning M25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

Just a heads up to a potentially disastrous problem I discovered.  When I took the air filter cartridge off - the silver ring - I found that the "brillo" like material was deteriorating and the screen between it and the engine intake was about to go.  Had these metal "filings" found their way into the engine it would have been an expensive repair.  I discovered that there is only supposed to be a circular piece of foam over the intake and early on there were several variations - apparently not good ones for this filter.

Don't know if all agree but I would suggest removing the "Brillo" insides and just using the foam piece...don't know if this is common on other models......my 2cents.

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Ron Hill

Guys : You may want to check yours as Chris mentioned.  I remove mine and clean it with acetone every winter and then spray WD40 on it. 
I've had no deterioration in 20 years, but it's worth the checking as Chris mentioned !!
Ron, Apache #788

Fou Du Large

Hello

On my M-25 1986 i just have a air intake silencer no:301138  (Universal) 
I think it's original part.
No foam filter in...

Is that normal???

Thank
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Ron Hill

Fou : The foam on the outside of the air cleaner is a noise suppressor. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Stu is correct there are 2 differant air cleaners.  The old model #16 air filter assembly (sometimes with a long snoot) I've seen on the 1987 M25XPs and the newer model # 8 came on the 1988 and subsequent M25XPs. 
Ron, Apache #788