Rudder installation

Previous topic - Next topic

steve stoneback

I have done a search and read many posts on removal of the rudder but I have not read any posts on rudder installation.  I have a pretty good idea of the procedure I am going to use to install the rudder......  My question is, does anyone know if the post should be lubricated and if so, with what? 
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

tonywright

Catalina is VERY specific in the manual to use absolutely nothing but water. I recommend that you read section 4.5.2 of the (MK II) manual carefully.

For lifting the rudder into position, and then holding it there while it was installed, I watched a neigbour cleverly use a strap run under the boat and the bottom of the rudder between the two aft cleats.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

steve stoneback

Thanks Tony,

I actually talked to my dock neighbor about using some sort of a sling and back cleats when we put it back in.

My owners manual (MK I) probably says the same thing as the MK II, water only.  I will check it out when I get to my boat.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

tonywright

Actually the MK I and MK II manuals are both online on the C34 home page (see link above). Click on the link "manuals" on that page.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Steve Sayian

Steve,

I removed my rudder this spring to take the prop shaft out.  Had to dig a 6 inch hole as the boat was blocked up about 20 inches.

Getting it back in was easy.  My son and I lifted it into position in the tube (and propped it up with blocks to hold it) and then I when into the stern to get ready to place the steering quadrant over the post.  My son and his friend slowly raised the rudder up and I lowered the quadrant onto the post then I stuck the stainless bolt through the top along with the fiberglass sleeve and presto, job done.  Took all of about 10 minutes to do.  Used nothing on the post/stuffing box at all as I had loosened the packing before removing it.

Connecting the steering cables and quadrant took some time because of the confined space in the stern.  I took off the interior bulkhead at the rear of the aft cabin for more light and to catch anything that dropped due to fat fingers. 

Hope this helps,

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

steve stoneback

Steve,

Thanks for the tips.  Mine will be a little different, the hole I dug is about 16 to 20 inches deep but the process will be very similar.  My boat sits on a trailer instead of a cradle but hasn't moved since I removed the rudder last November.  The hole is still there and the big ice cube that was in the bottom of the hole finally melted.  Hope to launch this weekend after 2 coats of vc-17 and rudder replacement.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Ron Hill

Guys : I put a diagram of the rudder packing gland on our web site.  You might want to tighten it slightly, but can't imagine ever havig to repack it!!  It's above water whe the boat is stationary. 
Ron, Apache #788