Wench Maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Calfee

Last weekend we were out on boat and I noticed a squeak in my primary wench while cranking.  I have owned the boat for several years and have not taken the wenches apart yet for lubrication.  I didn't find any references in the tech notes.  I looked on the Lewmar website and found references to the Ocean self tailing, but was not sure this is the same model that comes standard on the C-34 (1987).  I am looking for advice and information on wench lubrication and maintenance.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

dave davis

Since I just finished doing all six of mine over a two day effort, the choir is very fresh on my mind. There are a general instuctions in the Lewmar catalog. It doesn't matter if the are sizes 30-40, as long as they are self tailing, the general instructions would be the same. If you heard a strange noise, you probably have a brocken spring. I found two brocken springs this time. You should buy a Lewmar repair kit at WM for about 23$ and a tube of Lewmar winch grease.
They are preaty easy to take apart and clean in Kerosene or diesal fuel. Use a toothbrush and a stiff paint brush. Use a minimum of grease and use thin layor of oil on the pawls, no grease.If the pawls look very worn compared to the new ones in your kit, replace them also.
I hope you can get them apart easily. Two years ago, I could not pull the halyard ones due to bent shafts, which I had to replace. Thats another story.
Good luck and try to do this job more often.Ha Ha easy for me to say. There is a good breakdown of all the parts on page 999 of the WM Cat.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ted Pounds

Larry,

You probably have Maxwell winches like I have on my '87.  Maxwell doesn't make winches anymore, but the company is still around and if you call them I think they can send you a maintenance manual.  I've taken mine apart.  All they require is regular cleaning and greasing.  If you take them apart with out a manual just make careful note of how to put them  back together.  Also just do one at a time so if you have trouble with one you can look at the other to see how it goes.  Also there aren't any parts to replace like the Lewmars.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Rodney

All this talk about lubricating wenches (and "wiches" too!) .. we're just gonna have to slap an "R" rating on this site...

jentine

I have found that when the wench squeals from too much time at the winch, she is best lubricated with a tall glass of white zinfandel.  I have tried other lubricants, but that one is the best for an enjoyable day.  Jim Kane