Canadians - Phillips or Roberston screws?

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

While removing the cabin sole and a few items to clean things up, trace problems, etc... I've was happy to see the use of mainly one type of screw. I think a 1" #6 Phillips oval head (I think it's how they are called).

I thought great I'll get a bunch more to replace some of the ones with damaged heads. Well, I learned about the Canada/US Phillips/Roberston story and have not been able to find the same screw in stock anywhere. I found flat head Roberston screws at awesome prices (for SS), no oval heads yet.

Canadians, have any of you found a source for the same stock screws?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Jon Schneider

Pierre, I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you wondering where to find SS Robertson-head screws?  If so, try McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com); I'm not sure if they have them, but they have a pretty comprehensive fastener inventory.  For my money, I went with flat-head bronze phillips screws.  I found that the bronze blended in much better with the color of the sole. 

PS: I'm not Canadian, but I hope to sail there someday ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

pjcomeau

No,

I was actually looking to see if anybody had a source for the SS Phillips oval head (the same ones that is throughout the boat).

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Jon Schneider

Ah, in that case, definitely go to McMaster-Carr.  Very good pricing, very good delivery performance.  They're not a Canadian source, but their name sounds a bit Canadian, don't you think?  ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Pierre : What I've done is to use finishing washers on the teak/holly sole hold down screws.  Then it doesn't make any difference if the screw head is oval or flat!  The finishing washers also help if the hole thru the wood is slightly enlarged.  A thought :wink:
Ron, Apache #788