COOLANT LEAK ON UNIVERSAL M35B

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

Just a heads up for those with this or other models. We had a coolant leak coming from the head of the hose attached to the exhaust manifold. This hose ends at the heat exchanger. Hose part # is 015774 for those with a parts book.
We drained about a gallon of new coolant via the HX petcock.
Hose was removed by cutting partially in half and pulled off both ends. We discovered two casting irregularities on the manifold. Two sharp little "nipples", 180 degrees apart. Engine is 4 years old with approx 230 hours. Over a period of time these metal "spikes" wore into the hose. Tightening the clamp, hopefully to end the leak, just exacerbated the problem as this caused the metal to protrude even further into the hose and increase the leakage by puncturing the hose ever so slightly but completely.
We filed down both casting irregularities and took some emery cloth to the outlet.
A new hose and clamps are being installed. As we are planning an extended cruise to the Broughtons in 60 days, I am adding to my parts all hoses that are part of the cooling system. Unless it is a formed part and has to be purchased through a Universal dealer, I am purchasing the "over the counter" hoses and clamps through a local hose vendor. Not a marine chandlery. If you are planning any projects you can save a lot of money by buying stainless bolts and screws at any fastener shop. They have a much better selection at a much better price!

Stu Jackson

Very good points, thanks for posting.

Please, do NOT forget the hoses to the dhw heater under the galley sole:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

canuck

Just also want to advise you all that after the leaking hose was removed we noticed that one of the bolts at the top of the bell housing/ transmission was not even screwed in! Who knows what evil lurks ......only the Shadow knows!