Tuning Mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I have a 2001 with a roller furling main.  The mast wants to tune inverted IE when I have the cap shrouds tight and the lowers tightened evenly the mast bows aft at the center....so I leave the cap shrouds a little loose, the leeward shroud is slack when sailing in 15 knots,  and the forward lowers are real tight and the aft lowers are a little loose.  Still has a slight bow aft.  I want the mast straight or perferably with a small bend forward.
My question is with the spreaders.  Where should the cap shroud pass through the spreader tips?  Mine are, were when I bought the boat, on the forward position.  I'm thinking maybe if I move the shroud to the aft position it would bend the mast forward, like back swept spreaders.  Or maybe it wouldn't make much difference.  I want to take a poll before I make the climb and change it.
So, people with furling masts, where does your cap shrouds go through the spreaders? 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

Because of the forces on the mast the shroud tensions will change while sailing, the key is to get it right at the dock.  Tighten your uppers to the proper tension sighting up the mast to ensure it stays straight in the port starboard direction.  Once the uppers are done, move to the lowers.  Adjust both sides to about 3/4 tension, check the mast for alignment.  Adjust as necessary if off. Now adjust each of the lowers a half turn at a time until you get the correct tension.  The lower forward should be slightly tighter than the aft.

I think the furling masts were made by Seldon, they have a great online help section, might be a good idea to double check there.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

It goes through the forward part of the spreader.

The mast is made by Charleston Spar. Manual is loaded to this site.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Stu Jackson

Don't know if mast tuning is any different for an in mast furler than a regular mast.

The basic Catalina owners manual, on the website, has one of the best I've seen directions for doing it without a tension gauge.  Check the manuals in the wiki.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."