Latest tracked leak.

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

There was heavy rain last night and the boat is finally in water and I discovered a new leak. I found a puddle in the aft cabin. I was actually expecting one, but actually found another reason for this puddle.

I'm not sure what the proper terms is for the deck drains we have around the deck (4 or 6 small indentations in the deck with small holes thru the hull). The one on the starboard side over the aft cabin was clogged with debris so the water was accumulating and slowly leaking into the cabin. I tested my theory by cleaning the hole, then drying things up and made sure the dripping leak had stopped. I then plugged the hole with my finger and poured water into the indent and waited a few minutes. When I went into the cabin a significant amount had dripped in.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? I could somehow thouroughly clean the hole, fill it with epoxy and drill a new hole. Is there a simpler solution?

Also, I also have another leak in the aft cabin. I've re-bedded the guard posts, but not the wheel (I'm thinking of just putting silicone for this year). Others have mentioned the cockpit coamings. Where do leaks develop in the coamings? Are is the problem fixed?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ted Pounds

Pierre,
If it's leaking by the seat in the aft cabin then I had the exact same problem.  Those little depressions with the holes (I think you'd call them scuppers) were made without any glass fiber - just thickened resin.  Thus they are brittle and subject to cracking.  Take off the  vinyl covered board underneath the wire chase, where the cabin lights attach.  There are 3 screws holding it on.  Once you get the screws out it may be be a tight fit and you'll have to use a screw driver to pry it out (or it may just fall out).  That will allow you to get at the underside of the 'scupper'.   Then you can check for damage and see exactly where it is leaking.  What I did was  to put some WEST System epoxy and glass cloth over the whole thing on the inside.  That reinforced it and sealed up the crack where it was leaking.  As I recall I also carefully 'painted' some epoxy resin inside the scupper hole in order to keep the resin from absorbing any water - sort of like a barrier coat.  That should do it for you.  Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

pjcomeau

Ted,

That's how I had traced the leak (i.e removing the vinyl trim and following water. The area has the scupper bump and the bolts for the outside track on either side. I was carefull in making sure the leak was not coming from the track bolt.

I'll look into sealing the hole from both sides.

Thanks
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ted Pounds

In my case there was an obvious crack in the resin.  When I dug a screwdriver into it a small (1.5 cm) piece came off.  That's how I found out there was no glass fiber.   Glassing over it is kind of a messy job because you're working upside-down.  So make sure you cover everything below.  Once you get the glass and epoxy on, wide masking tape works well to hold it there.  Since it's covered up you don't even have to bother to take the tape off after its cured.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Bob K

Pierre,
I had a leak in the starboard cockpit coaming storage locker(?) (the little pocket where you put winch handles, candy bar wrappers, etc.).  Would only leak after a heavy rain with wind, which blew the rain into the locker.  The leak was at the inside front seam, and water worked its way into the aft cabin.   Sealed it up with Life-caulk, and has stayed dry for several years. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay