Dissimilar Corrosion

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

I tried to remove my quadrant over the weekend and couldn't remove the stainless 3/8" bolts that secured the two halves together or the 3/8" bolt that passes through the rudder shaft. It can wait until fall, but I'm looking for options. I must have been last apart three years ago when the rudder was out and skeg/shaft replaced by the PO just before I bought it. Obviously, someone didn't use Lanacote or the equivalent when it was re-assembled. I didn't have large wrenches, only about a 9" 9/16" box end, but nothing budged. 

The bolts are all horizontal, I'm not confident that something like PB Blaster is going to work it's way to where it's needed. I'm small enough to go down into my aft lazerette. Would applying heat from my propane torch likely break things loose? Any other suggestions?

Jeff Kaplan

craig, i had the same problem 2 years ago when i replaced the rudder. you can spray pb blaster or any type of penetrant spray, let it soak in. if you can, get a torch and heat up, that will work but be very careful, tight quarters. if you can borrow or get a 1/2" electric impact hammer, that will be enough to break the hold. i tried everything but couldn't budge the nuts loose and ended up bashing my knuckles and wrist. had to call in the mechanic, who, had to cut the bolts off and replaced the quad. hopefully you will have better luck. i'm in favor of applying never-seeze or anti-seeze compound before re-assembly for touching metals, similar or dissimilar
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Craig Illman

Jeff - Thanks. It's funny, but the rudder stop with the same size bolts came off just fine.

Craig

Jeff Kaplan

craig, as mentioned, i couldn't get any to budge, and i don't give up easy. after inflicting much pain to myself, i called in a pro. hopefully some heat will free things for you. good luck...jeff

Ray & Sandy Erps

I'm going through the same thing with some broken stainless bolts in the aluminum Bomar hatch frames.  While I don't have a trick for getting them out, I did speak with an outboard mechanic about a good never seize compound.  He recommended permatex #2.  That's the dark colored sticky stuff in a tube.  I started using that on stainless bolts going into aluminum and I haven't had one seize ever since.  Also, if you use that stuff, it's going to get on your fingers and it's hard to get off.  Rubbing alcohol will cut it though, better than petrol solvents if I recall.

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jeff Kaplan

ray, be carefull with the #2 permatex, it is a gasket sealant not a true never-seeze. never-seeze or anti-seeze, as they are known, is either a copper or nickel based paste designed for a specific purpose, nuts and bolts will come apart easily along with other uses such as dissimilar metals in contact with each other.  permatex dries a little and gets very sticky, as you found out...jeff

Ray & Sandy Erps

Thanks Jeff,

I still use regular never-seize on exhaust type component bolts but I've had real good luck using permatex when screwing stainless into aluminum. 
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA