New Rigid Vang Arrived Today!

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

A rigid vang wasn't on the top of my list of upgrades.   So I did a lot of other things during our first year with the new boat.   It leapt up to the top of the list late last season as I was flaking the main and the topping lift failed.   The boom came crashing down and bounced harmlessly off the top of the dodger (one of the high priority upgrades).

It could have just as easily bounced off my son's head who was just coming out of the companionway.   That might have diminished the enjoyment of the day somewhat. 

If I'm not the last C34 owner out there to complete this upgrade, and there is still somebody out there with a topping lift, inspect it very carefully.   If there is any evidence of corrosion or broken strands or chafe on the rope, replace it.  Don't put it on the "to do" list.  Just get it done.  In fact, if you have a 20 year old topping lift, don't even bother inspecting it, just get it off the boat.   

There ends my sermon.  Now who knows what size screws I should buy to mount this shiny piece of mechanically advantaged sexiness on to my boat?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Congratulations on your new and amazing enhancement.  I don't know the screw sizes, but remember to make sure you use Lanocote on each and every one of the screws (ss into aluminum) and consider a rubber backing plate material between the two "saddles" that fit against the mast and under the boom to avoid corrosion.  Tap the holes and use machine screws in lieu of simple sheet metal screws.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

I used 1/4" bolts.  Bolts are much easier to remove later should you need to.  Just to further elaborate on Stu's suggestion, a local rigger gave me a great idea regarding an electrolysis barrier: use the material from a plastic milk carton.  It makes for excellent "meat" in the sandwich between the boom and the vang base plate.  BTW, regarding thread count, I've never been satisfied with anyone's explanation of which is better, fine or gross thread counts (20 vs 24+).  Out of naive intuition, I use 20 thread count as I believe that the deeper thread grips better and is stronger than more of the shallower threads in aluminum. 

PS: Waterdog, what exactly failed on your topping lift?  It's unusual for a wire to break.  Was it the wire-to-rope splice?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

joe

a friend and i put a rigid vang on his c-30 and then later put one on my c-34. we found that placing the plate on the boom was much easier if you removed the boom so you didn't have to lay on your back while you did the work.
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

waterdog

Quote from: Jon Schneider on February 20, 2008, 04:45:52 AM
PS: Waterdog, what exactly failed on your topping lift?  It's unusual for a wire to break.  Was it the wire-to-rope splice?

Failure occurred on the plastic coated wire rope about 4 inches above the thimble.   Post failure inspection revealed a likely crack in the plastic covering and corrosion in the wire.   I would have been able to see a problem before failure had I looked closely.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Thanks for the tips!  The vang went on today with 1/4 NC 20 cap screws, milk jug gaskets and Lanowhatchamacallit on the bolts.  Stunning dockside performance.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day so a test sail will be in order.   That, and of course I will need to send my 9 year old son up the mast with the boltcutters to remove the surplus topping lift... 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

If memory serves, I believe it's attached to a clevis pin.  You might want to add pliers to his aloft kit.  And don't forget to tether the tools to the little one's belt loops.  A tool dropping 40' onto dad's head can severely reduce IQ.  And the damage it'll do to your deck is even more unthinkable  ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

waterdog

Hmmm.   Indeed it was a clevis pin.   We discussed it conceptually looking at the backstay.   It proved a little more complicated at the top of the mast.  The bolt cutters got pulled up on a string.   If you don't have a nine-year old of your own, I would highly recommend renting one .  Very handy.   Send a camera up with them and have them take pictures of everything.   Alternatively try having your nine year old winch you up...

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Les Luzar

Waterdog;
I am envious of your new installed rigid boom vang. I still have a topping lift which failed last summer while rescuing two stranded drifting teenage girls on a broken down Sea Doo a few miles outside the San Pedro breakwall (they had no radio, flairs, cell phone etc...really stupid). As I dropped my flailing main in order to manuver to pick up these girls, the topping lift broke at the thimble and came crashing down on top of my dodger. Luckily, no one was hit! Thanks for all the installation tips. I will be installing a rigid boom vang as soon as I finish the hundreds of other projects on my list.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Jon Perry

Okay guys, you have me thinking seriously about replacing mine too.  Where did you order the rigid boom vang, and about what did it cost you?

Ted Pounds

Jon,
Not sure where they got theirs  :donno: but a good place to start is:  http://garhauermarine.com/search_process.cfm

Most, if not all, of the folks on this board will tell you that Garhauer has top-notch hardware for about half the price.  And they are very pleasant and helpful to deal with.   :thumb: 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

waterdog

Got mine from Garhauer.  Practical sailor reviewed a bunch of vangs for boats of our type and had this to say:  "If you want a basic rigid boom vang that is well built and functions smoothly for the least dollar outlay, Garhauer is the clear choice.  Astoundingly, these rugged vangs are about half the price of those from the other builders, and with a 10-year warranty, they are hands-down the most economical option."   If I recall it was just under $500.  

I swear I have no financial interest in the company other than if lots of people buy their stuff, I'll be able to keep buying good gear at good prices!
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

Ditto what Waterdog said.  I actually thought it was superior to the competition, other than it is probably heavier since it is SS.  I don't remember the model number or the cost, but my guess is that it was under $400 about three years ago.  And, like Waterdog, I have no financial interest in Garhauer other than having spent about $1,500 with them in the past and will probably replace my mainsheet blocks with new ones from them this year.  So far, Bill Feininger (sp?), the owner, has not offered me any shares in the company. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ted Pounds

That last link didn't work very well.  Try this one one:  http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=40
The price is $412.

Seems like they would be a great company to own, but you gotta wonder how they make money.... :think
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Perry

Thanks Ted for the guidance and info!