Removing corrosion from engine

Previous topic - Next topic

r_bond

The heat exchanger on my Yanmar developed a leak around the rear cap.  Caused some pretty extensive corrosion around it and, of course, down the backside of the engine.  I've pulled the engine to clean it up, remove all the gunk and repaint.  The heat exchanger "block" is cast aluminum.  Anyone have experience with or suggestions on how to clean up this mess.  I understand most caustic products are off-limits when it comes to use on aluminum.

Rusty
"Trinity"
'93, Wing Keel
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

Ron Hill

Rusty : I'd try some "Lime -A-Way" that you can purchase in a grocery store.  It's a home bathroom/kitchen cleaner.  Good luck   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

Or if you can't find Lime-a-way, try CLR.  Works great and won't hurt the metal.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ray & Sandy Erps

We're on our fifth boat.  With all that boat shopping what really turned me off was the rusting hulks you would see in engine compartments.  I kept all our motors looking pretty good with minimal effort by using a wire brush now and then to clean up the ugly stuff, then hit it with some spray paint.  I think the real trick though was regulary misting the whole engine with WD-40.  I don't know if that was "best practices", but it worked for me and our motors always looked pretty good compared to others.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ron Hill

Guys : Read the labels.  I know that CLR should not be used copper & bronze (heat exchangers).  I suspect that it also should NOT be used on aluminum !   :donno:
Ron, Apache #788