M25XP engine with bad #2 cylinder, parts or re-build and sell?

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is there more interest in, parting my engine out or having re-built and sell complete?

Part it out!
1 (25%)
Re-build and I will buy!
1 (25%)
Sell it to me as is!
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: August 13, 2007, 11:03:05 AM

jkar

I have had the great pleasure of putting a new M25XP-B in my '87 MkI.  My mechanic (yes I am using My as I have had a relationship with him for awhile) gave me two choices last Thursday, one he could try and put a new rod and bearing in #2 or he could install a new engine.  This was all two days before the BYC Mac race which I already had great resources involved.  I said "rod and bearing" he called me back about an hour later with "Sorry, if you want to race on Saturday we need to put a new engine in, the re-build can't happen".  So I put a new engine in.  Now I have a diesel engine in my garage with a perfectly good tranny, heat exchanger, injectors....bad #2 cylinder/rod/bearing.  New engine $8500 plus new control panel, which by the way doesn't include a fuel gauge? Plus labor.  Grand total just over 11K.  Engine place told me they would give me $300 for the old engine, I told them to get bent.  I have seen re-built for $4500ish.  So the question is, do you all want parts, the engine the way it is, or a professional re-built engine?  I have the shipping crate and it basically would be $200 shipped to a terminal.

Ron Hill

jkar : As I undrestand it you've got an M25XP-A 23hp 1987 engine with a bad #2 rod & bearings.  How many hours on it?  Why did it throw a rod? 
I'm not interested in it, but just asking the questions that someone else is going to.   :(
Ron, Apache #788

jkar

1600hrs. It had been working on failing for a couple of years.  Did not recognize the tell-tales, thought the soot on the back was just because I was running it too hard and it was un-burned fuel from that.  Now only do I realize that this engine should have no soot whatsoever.  Oh well, it is only money.  Now I can go another 20yrs without worry.

jkar

For those of you interested, private message me with your offer and we will see if we come to an agreement.  Joel

prh77

Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"