Kiwi Feather Prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

Tony,

I too have had the 'swim platform' totally immersed at full speed with the 3-blade 15X9 bronze prop.  That's a function of trying to exceed hull speed.  The boat is designed to go only so fast.  Adding more power only makes it squat deeper in the water which is why the stern submerges.
Don't know if you remember, but about 10 years or so ago, the QEII was making a transit between Martha's Vineyard and the Elizabethan Islands in Massachusetts.  The ship was doing around 24 knots and the additional speed (and power) caused it to sit lower in the water than normal and as a result hit a rock in Vineyard Sound (was marked on the charts).  Major damage to the hull was done and caused an extended maintenance action in dry dock.
I too noticed that the more throttle, the deeper the stern tends to go with no added performance.  Nothing to do with the number of people in the cockpit.
Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

tonywright

Thanks Steve

I do remember the QEII having hit bottom, but wasn't aware of the reason. Good story!

Relieved to know that this is standard, although it was a bit of a surprise. It got me thinking about what to do in a following sea under power? Probably a good idea to keep at 6 knots or so, so as not to push the stern down too far? Do breaking waves tend to enter the cockpit, or does the stern ride up? Just want to know what to expect...

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada