Cockpit locker size

Previous topic - Next topic

fthefireman

New member, just wanted to ask a question. I am changing from cng to propane. I am about five hours away from my boat and i need the height measurement of the cockpit port side locker. This is where i am going to build the box for the propane tank. I just forgot to take the measure before i left Sunday. If anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it.  It is a 1988 Thanks Frank :D

waterdog

Frank.   I too own an 88.   Installed a diesel furnace deep in the bowels of the very same locker on the weekend.  I was in and out of it at least 20 times and even had my tape measure in there.  Regrettably, I did not measure the locker.   

However, I can tell you this:  If you do actually go deep inside the locker, depending on your size, you will develop a profound understanding of childbirth from the perspective of the breech baby.   

This of course is useless information for you.   

However, I can tell you that there is a ton of variability of the height of the locker depending on position in the locker.   You should let people know where in the locker you plan on installing the propane box and exactly what measurement your looking for - minimum height under the lid, minimum height under the hinge area, etc.  so you can get an answer back with a useful measurement.   

Good luck with the install!

Steve

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

fthefireman

Steve, thanks for the response. There are a few tight places on the boat. I guess the measurement i need is under the seat, because i need to have easy access to the bottle. Thanks again Frank

sedelange

There is about 12 inches under the lowest area of the seat structure.  I molded in a fiberglass box and divided the locker door so that the box is completely sealed when the aft portion is closed.  The locker is capable of hoding two 10# horizontal propane bottles.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Ron Hill

Frank : The early MkI s with a standard transom, have their propane locker in the aft lazerette.  It is easly vented thru the transom.  
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

fthefireman

Thanks for the info. this is a great site. Frank

Stu Jackson

Ron's article about the aft lazarette propane storage can be found at: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-propane-storage.html

Good luck, and please take pictures and write up your project for all of us to share.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Howard Armstrong

My last surveyor suggested mounting the tank on the aft rail. Has anyone done this? It would free up some storage space but would be exposed to the elements. i have been thinking about one of the new fiberglass tanks and then mount the solenoid in the locker in a smaller box. Just thinking about this now but does anyone have any thoughts?

fthefireman

That is a great article by Ron. I think that is the way to go then the bottle and lines are not exposed, and everything is easy to get to.

Stu Jackson

Howard,

I don't recall seeing a post about mounting a tank outside, and also did a search on "propane rail" and didn't find anything.  I've seen many boats with this arrangement (for some reason they're usually Cal 34s, go figure).  It could be done, along with the usual caveats about heavy seas and the like.  That's the way many were done before they started to make space for sealed tanks once people learned about propane and dissed their alcohol stoves.  If one had stern perch seats on a Mark I, I'd bet that a nifty arrangement could be made to support one underneath a seat and still have easy access to the lazarette hatch.  Of course, the lazarette hatch should be sealed, and the aft cabin port lights closed, etc., etc. - many of us have (partially) sealed the lazarette locker with weatherstripping to minimize rainwater from getting down below.  I also just noticed that the aft backstay chainplates need to be sealed where they enter the transom gunwale.  Always something...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Has anyone moved the propane locker to one side of the lazarette? I just removed everything from the lazarette to check the steering. Taking everything out is a mess, & this wasn't the first time. I'm only 5'9, 140#, So in & out is on problem after everything is removed. But I could get in & out real easy if the propane wasn't in my way. I have thought about this just to get a little more storage for fenders etc. but opening the lid becomes a problem if the locker is moved very far. Any thoughts?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Howard Armstrong

Mine was originally mounted on the port side until i got a larger tank. i have the tall 2 1/2 gal tank. i got a longer hose and wiring so i can remove a couple of screws and remove it in about five minutes. the old box cracked and i wanted a larger tank.

Marshall Tonner

Phil, I relocated my tank to the starboard side by building a shelf and mounting the box on drawer hardware so that I can roll it out to refill or exchange tanks.The spare is mounted on a rack on the same side outboard of the rails.It opened up a lot of storage space as well as giving easy access to the steering.    Marsh.
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

Phil Spicer

Marsh,
  I like your solution, & I happen to have the slides. (I just made a 30"wide sliding saw to cut the taper on the cushion backs) Would like to see pictures of your design. This sounds better than using the port locker. I plan to start this project tomorrow.
Frank: I will try to measure the port locker tomorrow & post dimensions tomorrow night.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Locker size on my 88. Opening as you look into the locker,front = 33-3/4", back =33-1/2", forward = 16", aft = 14". Height under the hinges = 12", height in the area outboard of hinges = 23" at the forward opening, about 22-1/4"at aft opening & about 25" at the forward bulkhead. Distance from the forward edge of the opening to the forward bulkhead =17", height is 14-1/2" in this area under seat, 25" behind the seat. Distance from the aft edge of the opening to the aft bulkhead = 4-1/2". Locker depth inboard to outboard, aft = 34", forward = 48". length you will nee to do the math. Hope this will give you a little something to start with before you go back to your boat.