Crack in mast step

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

I had a crack at the base of the mast step. It was in the corner, back,starboard side.
Started to sand with my dremel tool & went through. Glass was very thin. No problem to patch. But...........why did I have water coming out of the hole? What is the construction inside the mast step box? I can not find any place foe the water to get into the box. I am about to cut the back off & see what is inside & look for damage. Has anyone been here before? Looked for some tech notes but I must not be using the right search words. No help so far. Any help out there?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

I didn't say ,This is a keel stepped mast.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Jim Price

It has been 5 years ago when I bought Lady Di but also had a crack at bottom of mast step box.  Was repaired as part of sale.  Best I can remember, there is an aluminum plate under the mast with glass on top.  Not sure if this is a flat plate or an inverted "u" shape box.  As for water, I have a PVC conduit glassed in under the step at bottom of box that drains foward bilge in to galley bilge area.  It is possible, assuming your boat has that drain, that the conduit is also cracked letting water accumulate inside the box.

I don't really know any more about the structure at that point as far as how water can get in.  Maybe someone else that has done more work in this area can answer better.   :?
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

A scanned picture from pre-digital camera times.

Sorry for the dirty bilge.

That's what's under your keel stepped mast.  When I cleaned up and the mast went back in, I put a "Loonie" coin on the step for good luck, eh?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Thank you for the pictures Stu.
The crack I have is in the lower corner of the box, the corner you can see in your picture. I had a fear of wooden support blocks inside the fiberglass box. If water got inside, the wood could be in trouble. Jim said he thought he has a aluminum box inside the fiberglass. Guess I will find out in an hour or two. Stu, your mast shoe is really tall. Mine is only about 1" tall.

wind dancer

I wonder if the difference in mast step sizes are related to tall rig vs. standard rig?
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Phil : I published a Mainsheet article back in the 1997/98 about the wooden keel sole in the mast step.  That type sole was supposedly changed from all wood with hull #700.  This was the info that I got from Gerry Douglas.  You might want to call him and ask about you hull #.
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Thanks Ron, I will check again for your article. Since it is now the weekend the call will have to be put off until Monday. I didn't have time to cut the box open today but if I can get to it this weekend I'll soon know what is inside.
Stu, I was wrong about my shoe being smaller than yours. Checked today & it looks about the same. My friends boat has a smaller shoe. (not a Catalina)

Stu Jackson

One easy way to find the article is thru the link to Jon Schneider's new "Knowledgebase" spreadsheet.  See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3362.0