Air conditioning condensate drain

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

Good evening everyone

I am the new proud owner of a 2002 Mk II and would like to pick your brains.

My boat is fitted with an air conditioning unit that drains its condensate into the bilge.  Other than insulting my dry boat mentality its probably not the healthiest thing in the world.

Has anyone fitted a self contained condensate pump to their air conditioning units and if so how was it mounted and plumbed?  Secondly has anyone experience with an ejector that mounts in the main AC water line and drains the condensate pan by a venturi effect?

Thanks for your help
Bob Mann
Indigo Star

Jim Price

Bob, you may want to talk with Tom Danforth on O Dock.  He recently installed an AC unit in locker under nav station and I know he routed the condensation to a thru hull drain.  You may have similar set up.

I am across from you on I-7 and also have AC but mine is mounted under V-berth.  I have a simple "Home Depot" standard AC system condensation pump installed that pumps water into anchor well drain line and overboard.

Welcome to C34 and check out Fleet 13.  I am sure Dan mentioned that to you.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mike Smith

Bob -

Here is a link to a Mermaid product.  I have not installed this product, but Jere Allen, Trilogy, has. The condensate is essentially distilled water and I don't worry about it.  You could collect it and use it to top off your batteries. On Breezer I have a keel stepped mast and always have a little water in the bilge, so for me, no problem.

Mike

Roc

Although I don't have a Mermaid A/C, I did buy their 'Condensator' and plumbed it into the discharge line.  It works great.  Sucks the condensate out of the pan and it goes overboard with the discharge water.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

captran

we have the mermaid 16000 btu and ours drains to a plastic tub about 6x6x6 that fits in the forward part of the bilge.  in the tub is a small bilge pump with auto float so it empties like the other bilge pumps, but leaves the rest of the bilge dry.  seems to work great.  (the ac is mounted under the seat just forward of the table.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

sdaly66

OK, did my search and came up with this thread, but need advice.

After a HOT weekend in Annapolis, I'm thinking A/C is now on my list.

I'm looking at portable units, or a window unit that I could mount through a hatch part-time.

My question is.....

What is the health risk or other risk (if any) of draining a portable A/C straight into the bilges?

I've also seen window units put through the companionway.  I don't think I like that set up - particularly in an evacuation-type emergency with small children.

Thoughts?  Advice?

Ken Juul

If it is a portable unit it will mounted outside, condensate should not enter the cabin. 

I have seen some homemade rigs, small home window unit with a duct directing the cold air into the cabin either through one of the overhead hatches.  Have yet to see one that is very presentable.  CruisAir seems kind of expensive, but has all the bells and whistles to make it convenient to use.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sdaly66

Thanks Ken.

I know little about these things.  What is it that makes the condensate unhealthy?

Is it ok to run the condensate into the cockpit to drain, or is it caustic or otherwise nasty?

No, the window units don't look great, but at $90 for the unit, it's hard to look elsewhere.

Ken Juul

The condensate is just water.  As the air is cooled it forces the moisture out of it, it drips into the pan and out the drain.  I would just route the drain hose to the nearest side scupper.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA