moisture in helm gauges

Previous topic - Next topic

sdaly66

I searched the site and didn't find anything on this specifically...

I have the Datamarine Link 5000 system on my '87.  The  instruments at the helm (depth wind and speed) all have moisture inside them.

What is the safe (not destroy the instruments) method for clearing this?  I see 8 screws on the back of the unit and assume that is the place to start, but then fear, uncertainty and doubt set in and I stop myself.

I also searched the manual on their 3500 series, but didn't find anything that addresses this problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Done this before?  And how do I keep it from happening again?

Gary

I have the same Datamarine instruments (they are from 1986) and they can still be repaired/rebuilt.  The solution to moisture, and long term instrument health in the marine environment is to leave the small night light in them always on.  The small amount of heat generated keeps the instruments dry.  Go to the instrument back and you will see a setting for day or night.  Leave them in the night configuration and the warmth created will evaporate the moisture and keep them dry in the future.
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

sdaly66

so taking the unit apart is a bad idea?

just turn on the light and leave it on all the time?

that means leaving the power on to them full time too, what's that gonna do to the batteries?  excuse my ignorance, this is my first experience with hardwired electronics.

Gary

You need to have access to the back of the instrument.  If they are on the helm then you need to determine the best way to see the back of the instrument.  Mine are on the port bulkhead and can be seen in the head.  They have a small plastic cover there that is removed to gain access to the back of the instrument, day and night swtich, calibration, wiring, sensor plug in etc.

In the night position the only time the light will receive current is when the instument is actually reading.  Usually instruments are controlled by one of the circuit breakers at the nav station so you can turn the instruments on and off there.  Does that make sense?
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

sdaly66

YUP, perfect sense, thanks.

I'll be down to the marina on Friday and will check it out.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."