Winch question

Previous topic - Next topic

dpenz

I was happy when Santa Claus gave me new jib sheets this year, 7/16" x 55', just like the owner's manual describes.  When I finally got around to installing them recently, I noticed that the old sheets were actually 1/2" size.

The self-tailers on my Lewmar size 46 cockpit winches do not grab the new sheets as firmly as the larger lines.  Noticing this, I then checked the Lewmar web site and it seems the 46 winch should be able to handle any line from 5/16" to 9/16".  But I believe the self-tailer would not work at all for a line any smaller than 7/16".  

Can or should the self-tailer be adjusted in some way to accommodate the smaller line size?

dave davis

I'm like you ,Dave... I went even smaller. From 1/2 to 3/8 for my jib sheets. It's much stonger material, no stretch and lighter but I have the same slippage problem on the self tailler 46 Lemar winch. The only way I can  make it work is to wrap one more time around during the final adjustment plus one more time around after the final adjustment.
So if this post discovers a way to adjust the spacing, that will be very nice. Maybe Lewmar might have an insert or?  Thanks for bringing it up.  Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

dpenz

Ron:  Your reply explains a great deal, why the current model 46 fits a broad range of line sizes but why mine won't.

I disassembled the winch last weekend and I have to admit there is not an easy way to adjust it.  However, I am an engineer and have access to machine tools.  It may be possible to do some shaving and shimming, to narrow the gap between the two halves of the self tailer.

Stay tuned for further developments...

David -- wondering why Catalina would recommend 7/16" line.  Surely they would have quickly discovered it would not fit.

dave davis

I am working with Lewmar to see if the new design Wavesping self tailers works better than the old design. They claim it will grip 5/16-5/8.  If they answer my Email. You might try www.lewemar.com

dave davis

Dave, I talked to Lewmar and they admit the new smaller 3/8 lines have a hard time gripping the old #46 self tailer winches. They no longer have any replacment or rework policy that Ron mentioned.  But rest easy, the newer Catalina boats all are equiped with the new Wavespring design that does a good job locking in 3/8 line. So, your and my problem is solved. All we have to do is buy a new Catalina.
Good day..Dave

rirvine

Yes, the self tailer on the Primary winches on a MarkII - Lewmar 48's - will grip the lastest high tech 3/8" line but you have to make sure you have enough wraps around the drum first - 5 wraps is a good number. Tailing by hand also requires 5+ turns on the drum.  The self tailer is to keep the line tight on the drum while friction between the line and the drum does all the work.

Also, taking all the lines to a laundry and giving them a good wash once a year keeps them softer.

Ray

dave davis

Ray, that bit about bringing my 3/8 hi tech jib sheets to the laundry to soften sounds good. But since my sheet is one 110 foot that is imposable to break loose with any spike without ruining the line. I can just imagine my holding the 130% jib out of the water while trying to wash the line. That would be quite a sight. In the mean time, I will wrap one extra before the lock and one extra after the lock.
GoodDay, Dave

David Sanner

Dave,

In that other post there was talk about putting your lines
in a bucket and letting them soak first with soap and then
after rinsing let them soak with a fabric softener.  Maybe
not as good as a machine but can be done without leaving
the marina.

I think I'm going to give it a try... I've always wanted my
sheets to smell like Spring Fresh Virgin Forest Flowers...

Or perhaps Ultra Downy® Experientials:
Tahitian Waterfall™, Cashmere & Silk Fresh, Moonlight Garden™
Meadows & Rain™, Spring & Renewal™ and Citrus & Light™

Jeeze...

I was reading somewhere where a power washer (on low) does a
good job of cleaning the lines if you keep it at a distance.   I don't
know about that... could just push the dirt into the line.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : A couple of years ago Lewmar had a "winch trade in " program.  They gave you a very few $$ for your "old" #46.  Then sold you a new Oceans #46 or 48 at nearly full price.  The new winch self tailer has a spring in it so it can accommodate a number of sizes of line.
I'm sure that then Lewmar took your OLD trade in #46 and re manufactured it into a new "Oceans" 48! Cost to them was a lark!!   :cry4`

Think I'll just live with my #46s and use 1/2" sheet line!!
Ron, Apache #788

rirvine

I would not point a power washer at anything costing $4.00 a foot - not even on low.  I have used the bucket and detergent approach (my jib sheets do not come off either) with success. Finished off by hanging the sheets out and hosing them down to ensure all the detergent is washed out.  It just takes a lot more effort than the washing machine.

John Langford

If your lines cost considerably less than $4 per ft a small power washer does work pretty well. The only problem is securing the lines tightly so they don't jump all over the place. My mainsail reefing line gets pretty scuzzy where it lies on the deck so I take the washer to it occasionally with some success.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S