Finger ring on the fridge cover

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

OK, now I've got 2 of these rings (out of 3) broken so I need to find replacement.  What I'm talking about are the ring, chrome,  2in. in dia. that you would use to lift the fridge cover.  On my boat I also have 2 alike, one for the bilge and one on the V bert entrance floor to access underneath.  They are made of a white metal that cannot bear the weight of the fridge's lid. 
When the first one broke, I stole one from the V bert floor (that one I don't have to open often) and exchanged with the fridge one.  Now the 2nd one also broke.  So now I'm down to one. 
It's only the lift ring that breaks...the rest is OK but one cannot open the fridge w/o the ring.

Since the first one broke, I advised my wife that from now on, she should always keep the lid above the sink, counter or stove 'cause if it decide to break when it above her toes...well it would really hurt!!!!

Now, I'd like to find replacement, hopefully some of better quality but if that doesn't exist, I'd like to know what is the real name for this "handle" so that I can do a research.   As a bonus, if anyone knows where to get them, it would be appreciated and it would save sometime.

I could tell you what it's called in french ('cause it my mother tongue) but in English, I wouldn't know what to call it

Thanks in advanced

Serge

Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Ron Hill

Serge : If you look at page 562 of the West marine catalog you will find "Lifting Handles".  They have a couple of differant sizes in brass, zinc (the weakest) and stainless.  If your size is not there look in a cabnet makers catalog as they also list both recessed square or round ones. 
You have a much heavier lid with the "corian"(sp?) countertop!!

On my lift for the fridge lid the pin that holds the lifting eye to the recess broke.  I found a stainless nail of the correct dia. and cut it to length.  It's still holding 10 years later.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Yes, they're readily available.

Don't know if you've seen this about icebox hinges:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2742.0  (read both pages).  It includes photos of some the "rings" you asked about and some ideas about how to reduce the pull on the ring and keep the fridge top out of the way.  I have seen more boats without ways to keep the fridge top up and personally can't understand why more folks don't do it, because having to put that heavy thing somewhere is beyond me - but, it's still your boat, your choice. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Larry Robertie

Serge:

West marine is generally out of this world expensive for this sort of hardware.  I get a lot of hardware from this place http://www.vandykes.com/product/02010566/

One other thing, the PO of my boat bought a larger, stronger, ring and had the mounting hole routed out to accept it.  You may want to try that.  The additional benefit is that you are not restricted to using just one finger.

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02001734/ for a heavy duty one.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Momentum M

Thank you guys....now I've got something to work on and upgrading to a heavy duty one is not a bad idea since 2 have already broken.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May