One Solution and a New problem !

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

So now that I have hot water; I went out for a nice sail. When I came back on the mooring the engine would not turn over; dead as a doornail, as they say. Whats the order of things to check and at what locations. Sorry for what must seem like dumb questions to others. Cliff c34, tall rig #1022
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff

In order

1.  battery voltage
2.  check terminals of conductors at the starter AND at the connection to the 1-2-B switch - open up the panel and make sure they're tight; also check the ground wire on your engine
3.  check voltage at the starter
4.  check if the start button is working

Start with those and report back.  I recently heard a story where a skipper, not knowing much about his boat, was sailing down the coast of California.  He'd left San fRancisco and was a day or two out off Monterey, widn died, engine wouldn't start.  Called the CG, got towed in and before the tower left, he said "Let's try one more time."  Fired right up.  True story.  Who knows what or why, but try again. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

I will go down to the boat asap before the heat really sets in today. Thanks for the protocol.

Jim Price

Don't forget to check the small glass fuse (auto type) for corrosion in the starter wiring.  A little corrosion at either end of the fuse connector will result in NOTHING  - TOTAL DEAD!!!!  It is located down at starter motor on short wire connector.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

crieders

So I got down to the boat today. Looked at the wiring, tugged at a little bit but I did not see anything loose.  The engine started right up like she always does; went out for a nice sail and once again the engine started with no problem.  Now I am wondering what would have caused this one-time glitch and what I need to check to make sure that it does not happen again.  Any suggestions for things to check?
Thanks.

Stu Jackson

The things I noted and what Jim added (good reminder, Jim, sorry I'd forgotten that gremlin).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jim Price

Cliff, definately check tha fuse.  When I had the problem, the engine acted the same way.  I did the same - tugging wires, shaking the harness, etc.  The movment in the wiring harness would allow connectivity iside the fuse holder and the engine would start.  Couple of weeks later - same thing.  Finally simply cleaned and burnished the littel fuse contacts in the fuse holder, cleaned the fuse and no problems for last 3 years - with same fuse in place.  I also used a little electical anti-corrosive in the fuse holder to aviod corrosion in future.  :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ted Pounds

You can have bad connections without having loose connections.  All it takes is a thin layer of corrosion to stop the flow of electricity.  Ron has the best advice: redo each connection - crimp and solder.   Better yet, while you're at it, replace the battery and starter wiring with marine grade, tinned wiring (which is very corrosion resistant).
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

From a story I wrote about our 2004 summer cruise:

Engine Starting Tricks

After personally checking out the sunrises the prior few days, I slept in late Friday morning until 0830.  We were ready to go at noon, but for the first time ever the engine wouldn't start.  The fuel pump was working, but there was absolutely NO reaction from the starter solenoid.  I had studied the technical issues about our boats, thanks to the great C34 website.  I said, "I know exactly what it is, we'll be out of here in 30 minutes."  After 18 years the fuse holder between the starter button and the starter solenoid had completely disintegrated.  I got a new fuse holder out of our electrical supplies, rewired the connection and off we went, at 1231, to our next destination

crieders

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got some help going over all of the connections and for now things seem to be ok.