transmission fluid brand.

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Could it possibly matter? Yet Torrensen Marine said to use ATF fluid with Dexron/Mercon, QUAKER State.  Now even though I live in the Quaker State when I am not sailing, I could not find any of that brand. Could it really matter? And while I am at it since I cannot find my manual, what is the proper quantity? Everyone feeling the need for spring and dreaming of that first sail out of the harbor. I know that I am obsessed by the memory of past such sails and anticipation of this years'. Thanks for the assistance.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

wind dancer

Dexron is the important part.  Brand not so much.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Stu Jackson

Fluid level -- please see the Feb 89 Mainsheet article on that.  .31 liters, NOT .55 liters.   3/4 of a pint, NOT 1.3 pints.

Type of fluid -- doesn't matter as long as it doesn't mix with any other type.  A search on transmission fluid levels found thIs>>>http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2911.0

I agree, brand doesn't matter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : It makes no difference on brand as long as it's Dexron III.
I wouldn't use synthetic oil unless that what you've been using in the Xmission all along.  You might consider using the "high milage" fluid to help prevent leaks -that's what I use.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

I am a bit concerned about the mixing issue since I have no idea whats in there now !!!
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, the idea is to take it all out, via the different "sucking" measures previously described.  The small amount that may be left will NOT affect the transmission, regardless of what the new stuff you are going to use may be.  If you want, put double the amount in (or more), mix it up by running the transmission for a short period of time at the dock in gear (like maybe all of 15 seconds), suck it all out and refill to the proper amount with the new stuff.  In 1999 I didn't know what was in mine, and that's what I did (except for the fill and run part) -- I just sucked it all out and topped it up with new Dexron.  It was II at the time, now they're up to Dexron III.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."