transmission fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

I just brought my transmission fluid up to the specified level. I know our manuals caution about using "same type fluid" for compatability. West Marine sold me the "Dextron lll claiming it replaces the spec. in my 1988 manual. I believe it was Dextron ll that was called for.  Am I OK or should I drain and refill?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Ken

You are OK, III replaced II which replaced I.  The "don't mix and match" basically referred to Dexron (any  type) and ATF (the Ford-type) transmission fluid.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : Stu is correct.  Just don't put synthetic Dextron III in an old transmission that hasn't been using synthetic fluid - you may create leaks!.  You can even use the Dextron III from the auto stores "for older transmissions".  It's MUCH cheaper at the auto parts stores!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks guys,

Ron wrote : "Just don't put synthetic Dextron III in an old transmission that hasn't been using synthetic fluid". My boat is an 88. Any chance that a negligent PO may not have changed fluid and the boat has  synthetic fluid? Obviously, it's easy enough to purge all and refill but I was just curious.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Footloose

Ken

I will give you my experience.  When I drained my transmission last year, after just purchasing the boat, I would say that it had about half of what it should and was very black.  My two cents says drain and refill.  This year it is much smoother.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain