Lewmar 44 winches

Previous topic - Next topic

sailmed

I just came into possession of a pair of Lewmar 44 winches, not self tailing, probably 10 years old, but never used.  They have a small square white button upon the top.  I have no idea what it is for, and hope someone here has experience with them.  Also, how can I remove the drum to get access to mount them?
I want to place them aft, for spinnaker sheets and for ease of use when single handing. There appears to be a snap ring at the top, but I don't want to begin without some idea what to expect.   Many thanks. 

Stu Jackson

Barry, first I'd go to Lewmar's website.  I recall them having a great deal of information on their older equipment.  This is one: http://en.lewmar.com/pdfs/Winch_Service_Manual.pdf

I don't know how old your new-to-you winches are (whoops, you told us and I missed it  :sleepy:).  This reference IS the manual that came with our winch service package.  Look on PDF page 29, single speeds, but not self tailing, and the rest of the manual.           

I also think Calder uses Lewmars for winch maintenance pictures in his Boatowner's Manual book.  It should have a blowup view of the assembly.  Second, the only way I know to mount winches is to take the drum off the base, which appears to be your issue.  Like the first time people get around to servicing their winches, someone points out that even if they don't record everything they did when taking it apart and come to grief when reassembling the first one, there's always it's matching unit sitting right there for help!  :)

On our C25 Lewmars, the clip rings just slipped off, they clamp into a little depression or slot in the vertical piece that is the "hole" for the winch handle.  A small bladed screwdriver should be adequate to gain enough leverage to move it, just don't let it fly across the room.

Being non-self-tailers, as were my main winches on our C25, we had very very good success with the Winchers to make them pretty much self tailing.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Barry : Call Lewmar @ (800)326-7212 and then ext 202.  Josh will be able to answer your question or go to the Lewmar web site and wonder around!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike_S

Barry,

My guess is that these are three speed winches and this is the reset button that drops you from 3rd gear (most mechanical advantage) back to 1st gear (least).  Part of the prep work before a tack is to make sure that the button is pressed.  That way you'll be ready in first gear when you trim after the tack.  The winch changes gears with each reversal, so you crank in like crazy in first until it gets tough, then switch directions and you are in second gear (you're probably used to this with the two-speed winches that are standard (at least on my Cat34).  Then, when that gets difficult, switch directions again and you'll be in third gear.  Enough advantage now to do the fine trim.

A word of advice is that when you put the winch handle in, make sure it covers the button.  That way you won't accidentally drop it back into first gear (which you won't be able to get out of without easing the sheet.

Cheers,
Mike