Garhauer Genoa Car system

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Ron Hill in Feb 07 mainsheet said that in order to install movable cars on the recessed track, it was necessary to remove several screws on the track and lift it. I was told the same thing and I thought it was a bad idea since that would promote leaks.  In my view it would really be necessary to remove the whole track and properly reset it.  What Garhauer did for me, thanks to Guido, is separate the cars  into two sections attached by a simple bracket and two screws, one in each section.   I then could load each section of the car separately without lifting or removing the track.  When the two sections of the car  were loaded on the recessed track, I  just attached  the brace and screwed it in each section.  It was a simplest thing I have every done on the boat!  Garhauer charged me nothing extra.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Craig Illman

That would certainly make it easy to replace them if you wanted to fly a small jib, instead of a genoa. My moveable cars leave the block a little farther aft than optimal when I have my 90% on. I didn't find it a problem to remove the last three screws and lift the track slightly. We just rebedded the three screw holes. I haven't noticed any leakage and we had a very wet winter already.

Craig

crieders

I think if you know what you are doing, taking out a few screws and rebedding is no problem; I'd just rather not rely on my skill in that department. I have had no problem with a small jib altho in all honesty, I have not used it much
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Craig Illman

It took some assistance to have someone hold the screwheads whilst I tightened the nuts from below. It sounds like Guido made a great setup for you.

Craig 

Ron Hill

Guys : It's not that difficult to lift and recaulk 3 bolts in the Genoa track. 
However, as Guido will modify the aft car for no extra coat - why not!!  Great Idea!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788