Considering '89 Catalina 34 for liveaboard

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailaboard

Hello,

I'm considering a 1989 Catalina 34 to liveaboard and sail in the PNW.  Most of the other boats I've been looking at are in the 36-39 foot range. I haven't actually seen this Cat 34 yet, the broker hasn't taken it in, but I have seen a bunch of high quality photos. For around the same price, or less, as the longer boats, I'd be getter a newer, cleaner, better equipped 34' boat. My question has to do with storage. Will the Catalina have a good amount of storage for a liveaboard?

I'm currently living on a friend's Tarten 33, which has disappointing storage and a very small galley.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bruce

Ron Hill

Bruce : You're not the first to ask this question!! 
Most of us say that a C34 has the livability and storage of most 40ft sailboats.  Think you'll get some feed back from some of the people that do live-aboard. 
My experience is only for an 8 month period when we went "South" on the ICW.  Our drawback in living aboard was that I didn't have a set of "wheels" and had to depend on others for transport. 
I think you'll make a wise investment.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Bruce- I'm not sure what else you're looking at, but, honestly, I think you'll find a stock C34 is pretty short on storage.  That said, I don't think you'll find many other boats, even in the 36-40 range, with a ton of storage suitable for a live-aboard.  There is, however, a ton of potential on a C34 (and, perhaps, on the other, larger boats you're looking at). 

The forward section under the V-berth is totally wasted as it comes out of the factory, but there's a ton of space there (just be careful, you don't want a lot of weight up there).  If you're alone or with just one other, the aft berth also has tons of potential, as do the cockpit lazerettes.  And, if you look in the projects section of the c34.org site, you'll find good suggestions for additional storage in the galley.  Plus, I prefer the dinette table for navigation, so there's also a ton of room under the nav. table for additional drawer space. 

While not a live-aboard, I confronted a similar question when I was looking for a larger boat.  I made the trade-off for a slightly smaller boat than I intended, the C34, with a younger age than others I was looking at (albeit with better sailing qualities for a cruiser than many larger boats, and that was more important to me), and I have to admit that the trade-off was well worth it.  Interestingly, I believe that boat design did actually get better in the mid-to-late '80s (depends on the brand).  Catalina, probably more so than any other brand, constantly improves its models based on owner feedback, so if you're looking at anything older, you're probably looking at an inferior boat.  Obviously, a Swan 37, circa 1980, is a phenomenal boat, but it's three times the price of an '89 C34 and really lousy as a live-aboard and probably would need tons of work. 

I have to say, I want to love a Sabre or a Tartan, and they just don't seem to stand up to a Catalina.  I know this seems ludicrous, but on a value basis, I just don't think you can do better than a Catalina.  The best sailing designs from Catalina are the 27, 30, 34, 38 (the S&S version), and the 42.  Obviously, the 27 and 30 are too small for you, and the S&S-designed 38 is probably too old and in need of too much work.  If you need a lot of boat, the C42 is certainly worth looking at, but I think the C34 is the best choice among them all.  Personally, I'll be very curious about what boat you choose.  If you think about it, please try to let us know.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

You may also want to read: "Why we are Catalina Owners....read these!" at the FAQ section found at: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glwestcott

Hi Bruce,

I lived aboard my '94 C34 for five years, three of them with my son as he went through the last three years of high school.  Things were somewhat tight, but I really enjoyed it.  I made several storage modifications, such as closing in under the nav station for another cabinet.  I ordered the boat new with a large Freedom inverter charger and that was great.  I would definitely advise caulking around the base of the toilet if you plan on showering aboard as the bolts go through into plywood under the covering glass and the area can begin to rot out.  I had that problem, though the loose toilet didn't show up until halfway to Hawaii - ooops!

The boat has many bins and with a little thought, closed plastic storage bins, and a slimmed down wardrobe, its not only doable, but quite pleasant.  Loved the look at night with candles lit and soft music on.  I remember one night when I was a bit lit and sending good thoughts to Butler and Douglas about how much I appreciated living in such a beautiful space - nearly a piece of art I thought at the time.  Goes to show how too much wine can get you maudlin :love:
Gary Westcott
C34 Jennifer Anne

Mike Smith

Bruce -

You may want to talk to John Sheehan, Sea Shell, and his wife Kay, who lived on their '01 34 for a while after hurricane Ivan destroyed their home in 2004.  There may be others who did the same thing along the Gulf Coast after Katrina in 2005.  Thanks to my ex-wife and her attorney, I lived aboard an '83 Hunter 34 for a year in '88 - on a good day it was great, but on a bad day it was two paces wide and five paces long.  Are you working, retired, or what?

Mike

Susan Ray

Bruce, I live aboard my C34 and have for almost 2 years. I lived aboard 2 different C30's for 15 years prior so the 34 is massive compared. It's just me so storage is not too much of a problem. I have added shelves to both hanging lockers (all clothes are folded) and a 'pantry shelf' against the stbd bulkhead in the stern cabin for canned goods.(One can wide with 5 shelves and acrilic mirror door). There are many more storage options to add here in the projects section.
If I can manage it, I don't want to ever live on land again!. Good luck, Susan 
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Stephen Butler

We only live aboard for the summers and for a few weeks during the holidays, so are not sure how valuable our comments may be for you, but from our experience, the C34 has as much storage as most 38 footers, and the potential to reach and possibly exceed what you would find on most 40 footers.  Over the last few years, we have added storage bins, shelving, etc., and can still add more if needed.  Additionally, we have avoided as yet, adding weight to the bow and stern.  Having said this, there is just the two of us, and the back cabin has become pretty much the "garage."  One final observation...even with the addition of tools, spares, food, etc., etc., our C34 still floats on her lines, and sails like the first day we took her out.  Good luck...we think think you can't go wrong with a C34 for coastal cruising.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023