Introduction

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Robertie

Hello All,

As of a couple of weeks ago I became a new owner of a Catalina 34 Mk II. 

She is a year 2000 and is in spectacular condition, loaded with gear.  The name/hailing port before purchase was Oasis, Gloucester MA.  He new name is Ruach, Salem MA.

The boat will be at Cape Ann Marina in Gloucester, winter on the hard and summer on a slip.  I also have a mooring in Salem harbor, close to Palmer's Cove Yacht Club, of which I am a member.

A little about me -

I've been sailing for 5 years, previously on a Catalina 27 that has a deposit on it with the sale pending a survey (yes I do feel good about that  :clap ).  Mostly I've single handed, including a week long trip last year to Maine and two weeks this year south of the Cape Cod Canal.  Both of those trips were with the Catalina Association of New England, and I am the Webmaster for that group.  I've also been involved with the Catalina 27/270 association.

My wife and I bought the 34 after looking into a new C310 at the Newport show.  After considering it I asked the broker if I could see a 34 I knew he had in Cotuit MA.  He said 'well if you are interested in a 34 I have one up in Gloucester that is beautifully maintained and in out of the box contition'.  He made quite the understatement there!  The 34 is a beautiful boat and we are thinking my wife will join me on the summer cruises, not to mention some other long weekend trips.

I've looked over the C34 web site, wich seems to be a great resource, and I'll be sending in my membership application shortly.

Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Jeff Kaplan

larry, as a fairly new owner on a c34, just finished 2nd full season, welcome aboard. i also came from a c27,owned for 12 seasons. the 34 is a huge step up, as far as size, speed and comfort, over the 27. there are several c34's in salem harbor,me included. look for my boat, sedona sunset, next spring. i'm by the day23 marker, outside of the last coal pile by hawthorne marina.this web site is great. very knowledable sailors here, willing to share all their info. ask questions and you will get many answers.as i  was told, look at all the tech notes and faq's on this site. have a good winter, and pray for an early spring...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Larry Robertie

Jeff,

Small world indeed.  I'll keep a lookout for you next summer!
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Tom Lanzilli

Larry, here are a few links that can help you share some info with the rest of the C34 community.  You will find everyone very helpful and this web site will become a tremendous source of information.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

http://www.c34.org/owners-database/submission_form.html - Join the database, it is a good tool for networking in support of the C34 community.

http://www.c34.org/join/newnames.html - Tell us how you named your boat
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Larry Robertie

Thanks Tom, I've visited the two links you cite and submitted my info.

I'll check those resources out and see who else has their info posted.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Welcome, Larry

Here are more links that should help you get started

Mainsheet Index:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3096.0

C34 Website Guide:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Hi Larry,
We just moved up last December to a '99 MkII 34 from a 1983 Catalina 30 we had for 10 years.  This was our first summer with the 34 (just hauled her last Friday) and we loved the spaciousness, the larger engine and 3-blade prop (great for the short chop in Buzzards bay!)
We are at the South Shore Yacht Club in Weymouth and frequently visit Salem (Hawthorne Cove Marine and Salem Willows Yacht Club) during the summer.
Look forwared to seeing you out there in '07.
Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ed Shankle

Larry,
TailWind is also at Hawthorne Cove Marina; just got hauled for the season before the weekend blow. I'll look for you next spring. Welcome to the C34!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA