Turnbuckle/lifelines

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

My old original plastic turnbuckles are shot. I wonder what folks have done for replacement? Does Catalina or someone else sell something else, like stainless TB's?
I need to replace some of my lifelines since the old plastic covering is cracking. Can the plastic be replaced or should I get new lifeline length? Is West Marine the option of choice or are there better choices? thanks. Cliff Rieders, c34, tall rig, 1990
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : When your C34 left the factory, it had stainless turnbuckles!!

Lifeline hardware is a standard item for West marine or local riggers.  You just might get a better price with a local rigger.  West is starting to get expensive. 
Also consider using stainless 1x19 wire with out a vinyl jacket - then you won't have to clean the white when it get stained  and the corrosion can't hide underneath (sight unseen).    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

Sorry, I meant turnbuckle covers !! Another dumb misuseage by me. Sorry. cliff c34, tall rig, 1990

Mike Smith

Lifeline replacement is pretty straightforward - just measure 14 times and cut once!  I replaced my lifelines a couple of years ago when I added boarding gates on Breezer.  Some of the information about lifelines and lifeline hardware may be of use to you in the article I wrote for the Projects section of this website.  Here is the link: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-midship-lifeline-gates.html

Fair Winds,
Mike

Mike Vaccaro

Might consider stripping the plastic covering for the lifelines.  Although most folks like the plastic coating, it is not recommended for offshore safety.  The plastic traps water that causes corrosion.  You can strip the line with a knife or razor blade--just slice off a portion of the face and then peel back the remainder of the line.  Stripping the plastic might give your old lines a new lease on life.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel