Sole Saver Swim Ladder Steps

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I'm thinking about installing Sole Saver Swim Ladder Steps on Breezer.  Has anyone done this and do you recommend this product?

Mike

Jeff Kaplan

i bought the sole savers for #219 this season. easy to put on, did it on the hard with ladder up. comfortable on the feet and have a small piece for top rung, so when you climb over the rail you step on a sole saver and not just onto the rung. cost about $80- for the 4 steps. comes with all hardware. just call in order, tell him year, send check or credit card and you will receive in about a week. a reccomended upgrade...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Mike : I installed teak steps on the boarding step tubes.  They're nice on your feet, but do require refinishing every 4 - 5 years.  Always envied the Catalinas that have the factory installed "teak looking" plastic pieces that attach over the round step tubing!!  :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

HydroTherapy

Hello,

I bought the sole savers and they are great.  My four year old daughter also loves them when she climbs on/off.  I did get a little rust from the screws they provided.  Not sure if there is anything you could do about that.  Also very easy to install.

David

Phil Spicer

Mike, I made teak steps & a platform years ago. Welded flat platforms on the rungs so all steps would be horz. Took them off this year & made new steps from plastic lumber. Also made a larger stainless platform for the top of the ladder. Note the added ss on the first picture. With ladder folded up I slide in my ladder extension & pin in place. The ladder now has 2 steps BELOW the water. May cut out center cross bar in the stern rail to make it easy to get on & off. Plan to fab a vert. hand rail for each side of the ladder to keep the stern rail stiff. Hand rail will go from the mid horz. rail to the transom & act like a knee brace for the stern rail.....(Winter project #5)
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

message tells me the picture is too large, will try again soon
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Mike Smith

Thanks for all the info... Although we rarely go off the stern I think this is a good upgrade for the times we do - boy, do those rungs hurt!  I'm ordering the Sole Savers today!

Mike

Footloose

Phil

I am looking forward to the picture of your swim platform.  I am considering adding a full width platform to the transom but haven't come up with a design yet.  On of my fears in the strength on the transom and the stress that would be added with the weight of people on it.  The admiral would love to have another step or two below the water.

I will wait for the picture before asking anymore questions.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Mike Smith

Phil -

I was thinking about the same thing last year.  Search the C34 website for "Swim Platform".  Here is a picture of what I found in the discussion:  http://www.mikejansmith.com/Breezer/images/C34Swim.jpg I think this split platform makes a lot of sense and is available off the shelf at West Marine.

And here is a link to the actual thread: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1435.msg7733#msg7733

Mike