Adding Swim Platform to '87 Catalina

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Wachs

I am thinking of buying an '87 Catalina.  Somebody suggested I get some questions answered on this forum.

Has anybody added a swim platform on the transom of the C34 without the walk through transom?

Thanks....Mark

Blondie

We added a swim platform to our new ladder.We built a new ladder from 1 1/4" stainless much like the factory one but with larger steps (made from king starboard ) and and L shape to it . The bottom of the L is our swimn platform about 28" by 14" with a socket on the bottom for a removable tee style dive ladder that extends another 4' down. It was expensive for the custom work but well worth it. At the same thime we built a new style pullpit that extends to midships with bording gates at the widest beam of the boat.We added stern perch seats like the new walk-thrus have.

Blondie

QuoteOriginally posted by Blondie:
We added a swim platform to our new ladder.We built a new ladder from 1 1/4" stainless much like the factory one but with larger steps (made from king starboard ) and and L shape to it . The bottom of the L is our swimn platform about 28" by 14" with a socket on the bottom for a removable tee style dive ladder that extends another 4' down. It was expensive for the custom work but well worth it. At the same thime we built a new style pullpit that extends to midships with bording gates at the widest beam of the boat.We added stern perch seats like the new walk-thrus have. 4dbncrew@cox.net

rwilkinsii

Can you post some pic's of your platform?  I'm sure there are many of us that would like to see it.

Thanks    :D

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Mike Smith

I was looking through the www.boats.com listing of Catalina 34s for a friend and found a picture of one with swim platforms on each side of the swim ladder. They look like BoatUS/West Marine items made out of Starboard but I have seen them made of teak also.

Swim Platform

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on October 15, 2003 at 12:16 PM.]

HydroTherapy

I have thought about adding a swim platform to my 1987 C34.  I have done a little research on the Internet and found this website:

http://beachfiber.com/marineproducts.html

There is one photo on the website of an Island Packet.

They can make a custom platform and even match the hull color.

Good luck..........David

DavidComando

Hi Mark,
I purchased my C-34 hull #55 with a small swim platform on it. Details on making it, as well as many other upgrades are available at http://kindred-spirit.net/upgrades.html
I was fortunate to find a boat with so many upgrades already done.
 Dave

Stu Jackson

Dave

Great to hear from you.  KS sounds like she's still truckin'.

Best regards,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

HydroTherapy

Stu,

What do you think of the platform.  If I do it I am going to take off the ladder, put a step on the ladder suport for  a single step to the platform.  The ladder will have a under the platform ladder for getting on/off.  I do not want to junk up the boat.  

Any thought out their???

David

Stu Jackson

David

If you take off the ladder, you'll need to find a way to plug the "hole" in the pushpit.

The swim platform is interesting and it seems that more than a few folks have done it.  Seems to me that a lot of the decision has to do with how you use your boat.  It's a great compromise between the regular transoms and the both the first wlak-thrus and the Mark IIs.

It would appear to be anttractive choice if you use a dinghy a lot and it would make boarding easier.  We found that boarding from the side in a dinghy is a lot easier than using the aft ladder.

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Glenn

Hi All,
I'm looking for a Catalina 34, so I've been dropping in from time to time.  Mike, thanks for the link to the swim platform picture.  Just one question, wouldn't the seats in the picture create drag when keeled over, or will they be out of the water? it seems like you could hinge the seats so you were able to lock the seat bottoms in a stowed position, lowering them when needed.  The rails could be left the way they are.  Just a thought.  

I live in the Sacramento area and keep my current boat in the Delta.  I would appreciate it if anybody knowing of a late 80s or so, C34 in or around the SF Bay, would drop me an e-mail.  I enjoy this  website.  One of the things that attracts me to the C34s are the organized events this group puts on.  I hope to join you all someday on a C34 of my own.  If you know of a nice boat for sale, you can reach me at: glenn@tailgaters.com   Thanks for your time.

HydroTherapy

Stu,

I was only going to take the ladder off.  I am going to leave the bracket on the transom and make a step out of it with matching material to the platform.

What do you think?

David

Eliosso

After seing the picture,liked the idea so I bought a couple of teak swim platforms to install on each side of the ladder. Bought them at West marine for about $75.00 ea.
Had to modify the brakets to accommadate the angle of the transom. Will install tomorrow. Hopefully my template was right. Sure can't beat the price even the additionnal $70.00 for the modification of the brakets
Paul
Eliosso C34

Mike Smith

Paul -

Try to take some pictures of your swim platform(s) after you get them installed. Seems like a lot of folks are interested in this project. Maybe you could write it up and submit it for our Projects page.

Eliosso

Finally got it done
Bought the teak platform from West for about 75.00, get the model for outboard without the ladder. You will need to have the braket modified by a shop (65.00) , the angle of the transom is 115 apporx , but make a template with card board. real happy with the result
Total cost under $250.00