cold tea replacing propane tank [CNG]

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Baskin

After two years of owning Sea Spirit the propane finally ran out.  I have enclosed the a photo of the antique tank. the tank sits nicely in the aft cabin port locker  reading some of the old tech notes I new this was going to be a problem.
any ideas for an easy fix for hot tea.
Larry Baskin
Sea Spirit  hull 108

sedelange

I think you have a CNG (compressed natural gas) system not a propane system.  You don't have to replace it.  You will have to get the tank recertified before the will fill it though.

Steve DeLange
1986, #37
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Tom Soko

Larry,
Your picture is definitely of a CNG tank (unless it's a SCUBA tank !?!?  :-).  If you can find a local distributor, you do not need to have it inspected or re-certified.  You simply have to pay a fee and exchange the tank for a full one.  I've been told that part of the outrageous fee charged is to cover the cost of inspections and replacements of older tanks.  Last time I exchanged mine in CT the cost was $45.  The last time I filled my own tank (with an adapter idea I found on this site!) the cost was $1.56.  Not a bad markup, eh?  The tank and CNG system probably came from Seaward Products  http://www.seawardproducts.com/ and they can most likely point you in the right direction for a local distributor.  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Larry Baskin

thanks problem solved  It is indeed natural gas  and can easily be filled on the east and west coast of the US   but not out of the country.
http://www.seawardproducts.com/  was very helpful and in the Bay Area Svendsen's will refill for 15$.

Larry Baskin
Sea Spirit #108

Stu Jackson

We have two CNG tanks on board.  The one connected to the stove is below the aft cabin seat and the "backup" tank is under the port settee with a hole drilled to allow the valve portion to scoot under the V berth drawers.  Always nice to have one on board when the connected one goes empty (just have to swap the tanks and reconnect).  I understand also that the harbor in Rio Vista sells replacement tanks, just in case you're up in the Delta when you need a new one.  Aladmeda Marina has a guest dock so it may be easier to bring the boat down to swap the tanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Michael Algase

One place for Cylinders is Corp Brothers. Find them at http://www.corpbrothers.com/catalog/cng.htm

The one you have is certainly fine, and I have found that a local fire protection supply service (Industrial fire extinguishers that get regular testing) usually has the capability to hydrotest cylinders.  Last time I had it done it was $25 or so, and is good for 5 years.  If you want to clean it up and paint it, do so before you have it retested and refilled. When they recert, they metal stamp the information near the neck of the cylinder.

Last time I checked with Corp, I think new cylinders were ~$200

Michael
Michael Algase

Tranquilizer
'86 # 91, SR, FK