Vberth Cushions

Previous topic - Next topic

SPLETS

I have a 87 and need to replace the vberth cushions.  All the cushion covers in the boat are in great shape, but I am going to need to start replacing the foam.  Has anyone just replaced the foam and do you remember where you got it and how much it was??

Thanks

Bruce

Stu Jackson

Bruce, if you haven't yet, I recommend a search on the word "cushions."  There's lots of material there, and some have pricing.  Also, lest we forget, there's alway Catalina Yachts, or local suppliers that may be in your neighborhood.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dave : I don't know where you boat is located, but if you call one of the nearby canvas shops They can get you in touch with someone that does boat cushions.  Then you can choose the density of the foam.  If you really want to treat yourself, get a mattress made. 
A few thoughts.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Andrew Harvey

I took my old cushions in to a cushion foam shop so they could use them as a pattern.
Had to restuff the fabric with the new foam ourselves. You will need a lot of patience for this!
Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Mike Denest

Once we aired out the cushions, washed the covers and Febreezed everything, we found a good deal through Overstock.com on 3 inch thick memory foam which was cut to fit over the cushions.  Diane made a simple cover for the memory foam with our sheets on top.  The combination of the two works great.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

sdaly66

Hello all,  I picked up this thread on a search of "cushion cleaning", and figured I'd ask if anyone had new tips or ideas.

Here's my dilemma....

1987 C 34

Interior cushions are in reasonably good shape, foam-wise.  OK, so I'm not real picky.  However, zipers are seized, and I've tried a couple of ideas on here to no avail, but will keep at it.

So given that I can't get the covers off the cushions short-term, the admiral still wants them cleaned somewhat before our spring break adventure next week - please note the timeframe I'm dealing with.

I took one of the cushions home and used a B&D "steam buster" on the edge to test that it wouldn't damage the fabric and to see how well it worked.  I was underwhelmed.

Sprayed the same area with Febreeze, and got a little happier - operative word "little".

Anyone have any good ideas?  Some sort of rented steamer that will clean but not damage the fabric?  Rememeber, I can't get them off so I'm cleaning them with the foam still inside.

I'll look for a long-term solution come December when she's on the hard.

Gratefully yours,

Jim Price

We have quick cleaned our cushions in the past using a floor model steamer with upholstery attachment.  Best to have water as hot as possible; lot of good foam but don't over do them; make sure you do it on a very sunny (hopefully hot) day so they can air dry.  A little febreeze spray after they dry.  Not the best but will help.

The cushion foam did  not seem to absorb that much water but again, work the cleaning foam quickly and vacuum good.  Repeatedly.

Try rubbing a little candle wax on the zippers to get them moving.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

sdaly66

So Rug Doctor, using the upholstery cleaner will be ok?  Even with the foam still in the covers?

Footloose

We use a Rug Doctor on our cushions yearly.  When we bought the boat it took two times to get "the big chunks" out.  No problems.  We leave the foam in.  They are dry in a couple of hours if the humidity is low.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Phil Spicer

Wife & I are sewing all new cushion covers and will do all new foam. For $20 I got a foam sample pack from www.rochfordsupply.com. About 13 different densities to try. Samples are about 18"sq. so they are easy to try. Rochford suggests different densities for seat bottoms, seat backs, & sleeping berths. So I got the sampler to give them a try. This way My side of the berth will be to my liking.
The foam can be glued to help build a special shape & trims with an electric knife. To help stuff the foam into the cushions try a wrap of very thin plastic like you get at the cleaners. I think Rochford has the plastic & I know you can get it from sailrite.com. So as you think about how  you get the foam to slide into the cushion, don't worry, just use a plastic wrap.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.