double spreader rig

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Jackson

Interesting.  I saw a Catalina 34 at the North Star Saliing Club on the Clinton river in Michigan on Friday, that had a nice tapered spar and a double spreader rig.  The boat was obviously set up for racing.  I wonder if the owner races PHRF and how they handle his rating with the modified rig.

Fred J.
Amante   Catalina 36 #2209

Jeff_McKinney

A tapered Double spreader rig? Definitely not stock. Was it aluminum, carbon fiber or some other exotic material?

Speaking of double spreaders: I don't understand why they put double spreaders on the 309, 310 and 320 but only singles on the 34 & 36. Seems like the taller and more heavily loaded rigs would need the extra stability (they put them on the 350 too). Can one of you extra smart folks explain it to me?

The one plus for us is there are fewer things to go bad in the rigging department.  :clap

Thanks
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jeff : When you have a question like that - why not call the builder?  Jerry Douglas will probably be more than happy to answer your question. 
Knowing Catalina - My first suspicion is that $$ will always dominate that equation!!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Jackson

Here's what I think:

The older designs have single spreaders (except the 42).  Catalina makes these spars.  the newer designs have dble spreaders with tapered spars.  These spars are smaller in "diameter,"  and are made by Charleston Spars.

So I think Catalina made the change 1) recognizing that it's cheaper to outsource spars than to build them in-house, and 2) recognizing that dble spreader, tapered spar rigs are just plain lighter and better.

but yeah, why not ask Jerry D.?

Fred J.
Amante   Cat36 #2209

Jeff_McKinney

Fred,

Thanks for the info. My rig was made by Charleston, and had the in-mast furler so probably has a fatter (and stiffer) cross section than non-furling masts.

Ron: I'm not used to calling the factory for stuff like this, but your idea is a good one. Does Jerry D. have his own email address or should I send it to the general company email address?

Wayne

I also have a Charleston spar, 06 boat, furling main, single spreader.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ron Hill

Jeff : I've posted this Many Many times.  From my limited experience (18yrs), Jerry Douglas answeres telephone calls!!  Maybe he's from the old school??   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

Yer kidding, right? A guy at that level takes calls? Seems pretty unusual in this day & age but I'll give it a try. The worst that can happen is he'll tell me to go away.

Dave W

Jeff,
If you do hear from Catalina,  Please post the reply,    I am curious to know the reason.    I do have a little rig envy of the folks in their 320's and 350's

Dave

Jeff_McKinney

OK Gang,

After talking to the factory (Leonore in customer support) the rationale on the single spreaders is for a variety of reasons:

1. Typically beefier (stiffer) cross sections on the 34's. Even more so with in-mast furling rig,
2. Less windage overall due to fewer wires in the breeze = lower righting moment + smoother ride,
3. The 2-spreader boats usually have tighter sheeting angles so have shorter spreaders. They need the second set to generate enough lateral stiffness.

That's not to say that cost wasn't a factor, but she didn't mention that. She did suggest we could swap out to a skinnier 2-spreader rig. Of course that's probably going to be many boat units with relatively small gain for most of us.

So there you have the factory version. I'm OK with it, but if anyone has different thoughts on this please share them.

Ron: I didn't feel the need to push it up to Jerry Douglas this time. but I'll keep that option in mind for really hot issues.  :thumb:

Ron Hill

The two spreader question is interesting, but for me it's like "how many angles can dance on the head of a pin"? 
It would definitely would take MORE complicated tuning.  Interesting, but not relevant to my or most any other C34!    :sleep
Ron, Apache #788