Creating a walk-thru transom

Previous topic - Next topic

rod schmidt

I am considering the purchase of a C34. Has anyone modified the transom of a pre-1990 boat to create a walk-thru transom? I realize it is not something to do on a whim and would need the guidance of an engineer in order to maintain the integrety of the hull, but I was just wondering if it had been done?

Randy Stolze

Rod,

I am happy to hear that you are considering the purchase of a C34. They really are great boats!

I have not heard of a walk-through conversion to an MK1. Why not hold out for the boat you really want instead of buying the closed transom? Take your time
      and find the right boat.

Good Hunting,

Randy

Randy

Stu Jackson

Rod, Randy's right, but remember, there weren't a whole lot of them made.  Wishing you the best hunting, you'll love one,whatever model it is.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Rod : I wouldn't try creating my own "walk thru" unless I had a VERY BAD "backing" experience !!!!
I'll guess there are about 250 to 300 MKI's hulls out there with a walk thru transom - so there are some available!   Some 1990's (an option), all 1991's, all 1992's and all 1993's.  wink:
Ron, Apache #788

ohana34

I've got a great 91 walkthrough for sale at the price of most closed transom boats, check the listings on this site.
Jim

Jeff_McKinney

Then there is the chainsaw approach-NOT recommended.  :rolling
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Footloose

Has anyone out there put a swim platform on the back of a MK I?  It seems as though this would make a pseudo walk through transom.  It would mean modifying the ladder and finding some that knows how to work with stainless.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stephen Butler

Passed a C34 MkI just last week, off-shore, near Venice, Florida that had what looked like a teak swim platform added.  The owners had added a ladder, similar to what we have on our 1990 C34 (factory platform).  The whole rig looked quite good.  Sorry, but they were motoring so could see a sail number.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

David : Look in your Mainsheet Tech notes and you'll find a picture and article on addding a teak swim platform. 
Great info in those 19 years worth of information.   :!:

Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Thanks Ron!  I looked through the projects but not the tech notes.  Have to admit that I tend to categorize thing and this doesn't seem techy.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain