Brand and Model # for Back Stay Adjusters

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lindrup

I have seen the info listed on back stay adjusters for the older boat in the message board and projects page, mine is a  1986 but unless I am missing it I don't see a particular brand name or model# like Ron Hill shows in his project photos. Ron, can you give some details? Is this a procedure you can do yourself or do you need some help from a rigger to install this?
Thanks,
Tom Lindrup
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake

Stu Jackson

We bought ours from Garhauer, plus a block and tackle (vang).  Many others have made their from built up rings and blocks.  I suppose you could install it yourself, if you loosened one side of the split backstays at a time.  You'll also need large D rings to put on the base of the backstays at the transom -- one side to hold the base of the vang and the other to hold the line from the vang through the adjuster.

BTW, our vang is a simple 4:1, no hassle, you may not need an 8:1 which would require huge amounts of line and a big bunch in the cockpit when hauled in.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SteveLyle

Here's a drawing that Stu scanned in and posted of a backstay adjuster desig, complete with part #'s.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2097.0

Ron Hill

Tom : I made my own back in 1989.  Think I've written this up before, but here it goes again.
1.  Take 2 tangs and connect them to each inside the pins that hold the bottom split in the back stay to the aft chain plates.
2.  Buy  2 Garhauer blocks for 3/8" line.  One fiddle block with a becket and another fiddle block with a cam cleat.
3.  Buy about 4/5 ft of 1/8" 7/19 flexible stainless wire.  Enough to go from a tang to the bottom of the split plate of the back stay.  Also get 2 thimbles and 2 sedges.  You'll also need 2 small  stainless "quick links" to attach the sedges to the tangs.
4.  You'll also need a small stainless ring, a small wire block (for 1/8" wire), two larger wire blocks and 22 ft of 3/8" dracron line.
5.  Look at the picture of mine (in projects) and start to sedge/assemble.

Mine has been great and with a 4:1 thur another pulley you have all the "purchase" you'll ever need.   :clap 
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Lindrup

Thanks to all for your information. I like the idea of keeping this simple. The 4 to 1 sounds perfect.
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake