Anti freeze overflow puddle

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

The 4-cylinder Universal on my '91 runs like a top at about 165+ degrees (on the gauge) in Lake Michigan. I seem to always have a little pool of anti freeze under the engine when I check. I keep the reservoir filled and haven't had any difficulties. The fresh water impeller was replaced last year and has 50-60 hours on it. The exhaust seems to spit plenty of water.

Any reason for concern?

Thanks,

--Mark

Ron Hill

Mark : You have a internal coolant leak.  You didn't mention "where" under the engine. 
Here's what I suggest.  Clean the engine bed under the engine and on both sides outside the engine mounts.  Also wipe off the internal coolant hose connections (these include the two internal coolant connections on the heat exchanger as well as the hose connections 2 large and 2 small ones on the front of the engine).  Don't worry about the raw water cooling connections.

Place a new (cut to size) fuel diaper (absorbent white pad) under the engine.  You'll have to run the engine for at least 15/20 minutes.  Then look for the leak.  Thoroughly inspect the hose connections mentioned with a clean paper towel. 
You might have to run the engine a second time, but you'll find the leak.  Good luck.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Mark G

The puddle ends up in the molded indentation under the front of the engine, so it could be dripping from anywhere above. I will try the fuel diaper trick this week. I would hate to have a hose blow while underway.
Thanks, Ron.
--Mark

Ken Juul

I have to ask because you say you keep refilling it. Are you overfilling the system?  If you add too much, expansion when hot will cause leakage. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mark G

I went down and ran up the engine last night, nothing. Went for a walk while it cooled and checked the level. It only took a few ounces to fill the system to the bottom of the flange for the filler cap. (Too full?) Then I noticed that my coolant reservoir was very low again. I traced the hose and found it was almost completely severed where the hose from the reservoir connects to the flange on top of the engine block. I rocked the boat and could see it wouldn't take too much roll to port to have fluid from the reservoir flow out from the break. I cut it and re-clamped. Ran up the engine again. No problem.

I think that was the source of my leak. Thanks in advance for any further advice.

--Mark

Ron Hill

Mark : If you have a coolant reservoir there's no need to remove the pressure cap on the engine.  Can't remember when it was that I last had that cap off - guess when I changed coolant every 2/3 years!?
It sounds as though you found and fixed your problem.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788