Hot to the touch propane solenoid

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

I noticed the propane solenoid located next to the cylinder gets very hot when on for 10 minutes or more.    Has been this way since we purchased the boat.  I checked current consumption, and it is about 1 amp.   I don't have the solenoid manufacturer or p/n handy, but I recall looking it up last year, and seeing that 1 amp is the correct current.   

When I say hot, I mean too hot to keep your hand on for more than a few seconds.  Is this normal?
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : I'm not too sure about the heat, but my propane solenoid draws .7 amps. 
If you can keep your hand/fingers on it I wouldn't think it's a heat hazard.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Momentum M

Ok....you got me curious about this solenoid business so this w-e I was on the boat for 3 days and the first night we had to reheat some food.  It took the oven 15min to do the job and I went to test the unit:  ouch!!!  it was quite hot.  On a second occasion we met a friend on the water and he came to visit.  We were eating and he was sitting beside the tank so I ask him to open it and again touch it: ouch!!!   I must say that he's a mechanic so he's not a pencil pusher like me and he couldn't keep his fingers on it.  The solenoid had been turn off at that time by about 10/15 minutes.
So the verdict is (in my case anyway) that in fact it does get hot and I'm tempted to believe that it's normal.
By the way, my boat is 1 yr old (delivery date) today since I left the dealer on this date in 2005.
If any one else has the chance to confirm this then we'll know for sure 'cause no one wants to fool around with propane.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Ken Krawford

I checked mine this weekend (Catalina 350) and a friend's 2003 C34 and both were very hot to the touch.  It's beginning to look like this is normal.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Bob K

Very comforting to know I'm not alone here!!!   Thanks all
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Howard Armstrong

Ron Hill

Guys : I happen to be on the boat and just checked my propane solenoid.
My original that came with the boat in 1988 gave up by "falling apart" about 1991.  I purchased a new one immediately and remember that it was pricey at that time.  The exact cost?? - is long forgotten.

The current draw is .5 amps and after 10 minutes it was very warm, but not so hot that couldn't keep my fingers on it!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788