worst case scenarios

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

As my wife I were readying our boat for a summer cruise on Lake Michigan, I inspected our Life Sling and was surprised to find a block and tackle at the bottom of the case (to gain leverage when hauling a weakened victim out of the water). Partly motivated by the SF bay story of a few weeks ago (the fellow that was plucked out by a c34 sailor) and partially a safety exercise, my wife agreed to let me haul her into the boat with the sling. I tried a number of different methods i.e. tackle block attached to end of boom - block attached to stern pulpit- block attached to back stay turn buckle. - etc. I didn't try swinging the boom out at right angles to the boat which might have provided a better angle. I used a snatch block in determining the best route to run the retrieval line to a winch.

Actually what worked best was forgetting the block and tackle and simply attaching the the main halyard shackle to the sling, although there is a tendency for the victim to swing. I controlled this by "poling out" my wife with a boat hook.

Has anyone experimented with the sling and perhaps could suggest the most efficient method of bringing someone back on board?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Footloose

Ken,

I just purchased a life sling this past spring and will be interested in others experience.  That said, my "plan" has been to use one of the halyards from the top of the mast as you did.  The water has been in the upper 50's to low 60's so far this year so haven't tried it yet.

Something to think about is that a person that goes overboard may very likely be injured to the point that they can't help themselves as the "coastie" was in the previous incident.  When someone is thrown from a boat there is a lot of stuff to hurt you like lifelines, stanchions, rigging.  Impact as well as getting an arm or leg tangled can have while having your weight plus momentum acting as an injury mechanism can be devastating.  We should all know basic first aid and CPR.  Putting someone in the water to help the injured person now creates a second potential victim.  Most likely this is not going to happen in calm water.

Sorry to be grim, but it is easier to bat this around now on dry land than when the chip are down.

Dave
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ken Juul

I have a walk thru transom, so my procedures are much easier, drop the ladder and help them up.  If necessary one of the genoa sheet winches can be used to help drag them in. 

In your case, how about tying the boom out over the side so it doesn't swing.  Then run your halyard through one of the boom bales or a shatch block attached to a bale to hold the victim off the side. 

Another idea, a PO attached a winch to the foward stbd side of the boom, I assume to help with reefing.  It is the same size as the haylard winches.  Again tie the boom over the side, attach the lifesling pully arrangement to the mast and use the boom winch to crank the person up.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kyle Ewing

US Sailing has a lot of info on the Life Sling and other safety matters.  See http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/2001_bc1.htm.  Using the Life Sling tackle from the main halyard seems to be the best way to haul someone out of the water.  I've "practiced" with the lifting tackle from the main halyard as the link above references and it does work.  Make sure your crew is familiar with its use in case you're the one who needs to be hauled back on the boat.

I know people who have an electric winch for use with the main halyard to make it easier for a weaker person to hoist someone without the tackle.

The US Sailing safety home page is http://www.ussailing.org/safety/.  Click "safety studies" for more interesting reading.  

The effects of cold water shouldn't be underestimated.  Just a few minutes in cold water can make someone too weak to climb the boarding ladder.

Kyle
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

Ken : We've tried it just as Life Sling suggested.  Attached the 3:1 block and tackle to the life sling and then to the main halyard.  At this point you have to remember that you have the MOB next to & attached to the stopped boat - as Life Sling stresses "THE EMERGENCY IS OVER" !!  Now all you have to do is get the MOB in the boat.
I do that by cranking the main winch & halyard or as I tell my 1st Mate - snap on the spinnaker sheet turning block on the stern and run the 3:1 block line to the primary winch( if she can't haul me up with the coach top winch).

Don't know about your boat, but on mine I'm more apt to go overboard than her!!   :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

This might make a good question of the month:

When was the last time you had a MOB drill?

I know my skills a in need of a good dusting off.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain