CNG Tanks-How Can They Be Filled?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill & Gay/C34 #352

In the past, I've exchanged our empty tanks but now we're in Oklahoma a long way from any exchange location.  So, I'd like to fill them locally at a public CNG fill station but I'm sure an adapter would be needed.  I've e-mailed Corp Bros (the tank folks) a couple of times about this but they never reply.  Anyone know what's needed to fill a CNG tank and where to get it??

Thanks, in advance, for any replies.

Stu Jackson

Bill & gay

A Find on CNG Tanks shows a lot of items, mostly tanks.  Try an Advanced Search on the Find feature.  

Start with this one:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=184602911&r=684602911#684602911

You can try the same find, or modify it to find more info.

Let us know where your boat is, so someone more local may also be able to help you out.

BTW we don't refill, just swap empty tanks for full ones.

Like dealing with Catalina, sometimes email doesn't work, you may have to call them and try to get to speak to a human being!  :)

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jim flynn

Bill & Gay

We can't get exchange CNG cylinders here in Wisconsin either.  We suceeded in having our exsiting cylinder recharged at our local natural gas utility.  We did have to have our tank recertified because its last certification was more than five years ago. I had to take it to a place that does such work (a local fire extinguisher recharging company).  They fill it with water under pressure to test its integrity.  If it passes they date stamp the cylinder itself.  This took about 4 days turn around but its good for another 5 years. Cost was about $35 if I remember correctly.  The gas utility filled it with CNG for $12.  I called ahead to make sure they had someone available and it only took a few minutes to complete the job.  Good luck with your efforts in Oklahoma and good sailing.

Jim Flynn, #812
"Anam Chairde" '88

Jim Accetta/ Frank Tompa

My friend and I (both C34 owners) figured out how to fill CNG tanks about 5 or 6 years ago. We have been using it ever since. The most that we have ever paid to fill a tank is $1.10 and it only takes a few seconds! I could fax you the plans for the adapter that we made. You will need access to a machining (lathe) service in order to make your own. The main problem in "mating" your boat tank to a cng powered vehicle refueling system is this: our boat tank is built to "stationary gas standards" (like welding tanks) which uses pipe threaded connections. Vehicles have been built to "mobile gas standards" which uses SAE o'ring straight threaded connections. As with any flammable, there is some danger involved so great caution is required when filling tanks. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.
Regards,
Jim Accetta
A-CCET-TA-SAILS #92
989-777-4239
accettasails@aol.com

Ted Pounds

Jim,

I'd like a set of those plans.  You can fax me at (815) 477-8724.  Also maybe you could get them posted on the web site for anyone else who might be interested.  Thanks.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Gene Regan

Boys,
Loose the cng and go propane here in NJ.cng is a real problem some places. Propane is everywhere and easy to get.
Good Luck
Gene

gene regan

rappareems

Depending on your location.  We are in Western New York at Olcott Beach on Lake Ontario and can get tanks filled in Rochester.  But I sure like that price of $1.10! I pay about 40 times that. Could you email me the plans for the adapter? Rappareems@aol.com

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

burner

Don't know where you're located, but there is a place in Panama City, FL that will exchange CNG bottles for you.

Alpha Landry

Bill
Try Sackett's Sailing Center in Kemah.
Glen Gordy-owner
281 334 4179
E-Mail ggordy@BayAreraSailing.co
Picked up two cng tanks last month
Al
Lucky #13

jentine

I agree with Gene.  Fill the CNG tanks with concrete and convert to propane.  It is safer and cheaper in the long run.  
Jim Kane

RV61

Looking for this adapter as the Marina I have used no longer is doing. Any other ideads where to get tanks filled other than the local utility and a marina would be helpful. Also if anyone wants to sell a used tank I am looking for a spare.
Thanks Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie